cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Christy2026

Does anyone else use smoking as a crutch?

I'm learning quite a bit about my triggers and behaviors throughout this journey and I'm only in the beginning.  I'm learning that one of my worst triggers is the morning in general.  I will sit and smoke cig after cig to keep myself from getting started on my day.  I tell myself ok 1 more and then I will get in the shower or start cleaning or whatever the task at hand is to start my day.  It will be 10-11 a.m. before I even begin the day.  Then by that time I've smoked so much that I'm exhausted and feel like crap and don't even want breakfast.  I think I'm smoking as a reason to procrastinate....sounds sick right??  Has any one else done this???

21 Replies
gregp136

You are understanding the question.  When you pick your quit date, distroy them all when you go to bed.  I soaked mine in water.

dwwms

I can relate - everyday I would smoke more in the morning than any other part of the day. Even on workdays, I'd smoke 5-6 cigarettes before getting to work (in about 3-3 1/2 hours). On weekends, some days, I'd do just what you're talking about, sitting about and smoking quite a few. Why? First off, I needed to get the nicotine level back up again after going several hours without. Secondly, mainly on weekends, it was a way to procrastinate before I got to things that needed to be done. And yeah, you're right - after a few, I felt like crap and didn't feel like getting started on anything. Pretty sad, isn't it? It is fine to take a day off sometimes and just relax, but to use nicotine as a way to keep from doing anything?

What was I avoiding? I don't know specifically, but perhaps some of it was using cigarette after cigarette to just feel sorry for myself. Not that I have much to be sorry about, I actually have a lot to be grateful for. I've always been more of a pessimistic person than a optimist. Perhaps that was a significant factor in why I've had such a hard time quitting in the past. Attitude is key to a successful quit - so this quit, not only have I taken a different approach (thanks in large part to this site) including education, making sure my toolbox is adequately prepared, etc. but also a real examination of myself. I'm learning to be more in touch with my spiritual being and how to live a grateful life, regardless what comes my way.

This is not to say that you don't need to change up your routines - I certainly have done that as well. Exercise is a great way to help with quitting - it makes you feel better, not only physically but mentally as well.

Doug

gregp136

I would not have been able to quit if I hadn't spent a lot of time getting to know myself also!

Sootie

WOW! It's been awhile but your description of smoking....just one more and then I'll get started.....brought back sooooooo many memories!! I couldn't do it during the work week......but on Saturdays, I would be so non productive because of cigarettes. Of course, I did not realize it at the time. I thought I was "doing something"......yeah, sure, I was SMOKING! I was always using cigarettes as a kind of "mini" reward that also delayed my getting anything done. A great example of this hit home with me the first month that I quit. I quit on November 15, 2009. As Thanksgiving approached, I got ready for my usual marathon of cooking and preparing. It would usually take me until 1:30AM to get everything prepared. I began.........and by 9:00PM everything was done and the kitchen was sparkling clean. I was confused......what had I forgotten to do? Something must be lurking just waiting to surprise me. What I had forgotten to do was................................SMOKE! I took so many smoke "breaks" during my preparing that it literally took me hours longer to get done. 

You will seriously find life to be so much better in so many ways once you quit. Adn while it is always up to the individual when they are ready................ be ready soon! There's never a bad time to quit smoking because there is nothing good about it.

Christy2026

Wow. Thanks for your response. That is sooooo me!!! I take so many smoke breaks once I do get started at a task I'm sure I would be done so much sooner had I not. Ok I'm going to wipe down the kitchen counters....smoke break....load the dishwasher....smoke break....dust the living room....smoke break. It's helpful to hear I'm not the only one!!! My quit date is the 18th. I'm going to start changing up my routines tomorrow.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I would start by getting out of the bed on the other side.  This is the beginning of a mental push that you are going to do things different today.  Whatever you use to do, Do it differently.  How about just looking out the window and marveling at the hemisphere.  Ot taking a walk and breath in some fresh air.  We can give you idea and adivice but Only you can change it.  

bonniebee

When I was working and had days off that is exactly how my mornings were and that was one of the reasons I wanted to quit smoking ! I  had quit smoking for almost 1 1/2 years before I retired and that was a good thing because if I were smoking now like I was back then every morning would be exactly as you described . I was so addicted I had a hard time breaking away and the more exhausted I became the more I seemed to smoke. I think i have always been somewhat of a procrastinator but the addiction made it worse ! Now I sometimes find it hard to break away from my computer ! 

I am glad you are here !sayings quit 1 free.jpg I smoked for 52 years and yes it was a crutch for me ! I am glad to be free !!!

Christy2026

Thank you for your suggestions and support!!!  

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I was thinking about the changes. Making changes is definitely a good idea but I would not make to many changes to fast because you may wear yourself out, kind of like burn out . For example if you have been used to relaxing with coffee and a cigarette to wake up just substitute the cigarette with something new for instance instead of giving up the coffee drink your coffee while watching the news ,or reading a daily spiritual book or coming to Ex and having coffee while reading the blogs . Make small changes in your routine and as time goes on you may begin making bigger changes that come will naturally with your new life as an Ex smoker .. this is just a suggestion " take what you need and leave the rest " 

Have you linked in your mind Smoking=Relaxing? "Smoke breaks at work were one of my most challenging times. All the Addicts would often head for the door together and I would be left with - "What do I do now?" See if you can anticipate that situation before it happens. What will you do instead? 

You may have forgotten how to relax without your fix! You could listen to music, color in adult color books, read a magazine, and yes, exercise or eat a healthy snack. 

Honestly for me, it was so hard that I skipped my breaks! I would get up, get ready fast and then go for a walk with the left over time. Eventually I started coming here and catch up on all the news, return messages, comment on blogs like yours. BecomeanEX became my "instead!"

As for changing several things at once, I've heard it can be a good way to do things. I kept Nicotine Recovery by primary change but it in itself led to better eating, exercise, creative past times, more family time.... so many changes! So in your mind just start at Smoking Cessation but be willing and ready for many, many changes along the way.

You are choosing Healthy Living - Addiction FREE! That's going to change the entire dynamic of your Life - 

And it's so much BETTER in every way!