cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Does anyone else get sick while quitting?

This is my millionth time trying to get off cigarettes and this time it has to be forever. I dread doing this because I get physically ill for at least two weeks. I'm starting my second month on chantix as of today. I smoked the first three weeks (my usual pack a day) and then weened quickly down to 3-4 a day last week. I didn't smoke yesterday but took a couple drags off my e-cig. I just have the little ones that look like a real cigarettes with the screw-on 'filter' in the lowest nicotine level. The chantix is helping the cravings but my body is going through what it always does when I quit smoking, hell. I'm hot/cold on a dime, my head is spinning worse than the "Exorcist" kid, I am throwing up, my whole body is shaking especially my hands, I have a migraine, I can't form a thought and I just want to sleep, which I have been. I haven't done anything in a week because I can't stand up long and I definitely can't drive.  I can't take care of my family or my animals. I know all of this will subside eventually but I don't know if I can ride this one out. I know if I smoke even a few drags the sick will be staved off and I will have to start this merry-go-round again. 

Does anyone else go through this hell or is it just my own body's demons?

18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

From QuitSmokingSupport.com:

Withdrawal in the First Two Weeks

Because the first two weeks are so critical in determining quitting failure rates, smokers should not be shy about seeking all the help they can during this period.

Withdrawal symptoms begin as soon as four hours after the last cigarette, generally peak in intensity at three to five days, and disappear after two weeks. They include both physical and mental symptoms.

Physical Symptoms. During the quitting process people should consider the following physical symptoms of withdrawal as they were recuperating from a disease and treat them accordingly as they would any physical symptoms:

• Tingling in the hands and feet
  • Sweating
  • Intestinal disorders (cramps, nausea)
  • Headache
  • Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)

I would check with your doctor about the dizziness and vomiting.  That sounds extreme to me.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

You will only prolong the withdrawal symptoms by introducing nicotine after you have "quit."  Set a date, and don't allow yourself any after that - period.

Nancy

bonniebee

Have you tried the patch ? It really helps with the physical withdrawal it is much more gradual and takes the edge off the craves . Your nerves may be what is making you so sick

.I think you are making it harder on yourself then it has to be just the way you said you dreaded quitting because you will be sick ...that is not a good beginning . Think of it as gaining something not losing something ,read the blogs and get excited about the new life and new journey you are on . Your attitude about quitting  plays a huge part in your success it is called by some quititude and I learned it from all the Ex'ers who have succeeded here and now me ,a 52 year heavy smoker, am headed for 1,000 days of freedom ( 994 ) and it has been a rewarding and exciting journey ! Yes it was hard sometimes but it was so worth it !!! I want you to enjoy this freedom too ,hang in there and stick with Ex for all the caring support you will need .sayings welcome we are glad you are here.jpgquit smoking.jpgsayings quit smoking self talk.jpg 

Don't quit on your quit !

Bonnie

minihorses

I've done the nicotine gum which made my throat hurt, the patch which burned my skin, laser therapy, hypnosis which actually surprisingly lasted the longest. This is my last chance to hopefully dodge the eventual bullet, or at least postpone it some. Glad I found this site because you have all been so supportive since I first I joined a few days ago!

0 Kudos
minihorses

Thank you for this, I'm printing it out and hanging one on each door I use to go outside and smoke. 

minihorses

I will be 52 in a few weeks unless I recycle this birthday and turn 25 again, lol. I have now made it through a day and a half without lighting up! I took a couple little puffs of my e-cig yesterday and after my cappuccino this morning (I make my own every morning). I don't inhale them much, just to the back of my mouth, so I'm still on 'the wagon'!! Still sick as a dog but I'm just taking it one minute at a time. My bipolar is acting up but I think I can stay rational for now and I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks everyone! YOU are what makes this site great!!

elvan

Glad to hear that you are hanging on...everything is going to be exaggerated for a while, all of your emotions and feelings, it takes getting used to for ANYONE, do stay in close touch with your bipolar doc in case you need any meds tweaked.  So sorry you are still sick, I really hope that passes soon.  Remember we are here and if you feel like you just cannot make it...BLOG and put the word HELP in the subject line.   We will do everything we can to help you through the moment...no crave ever killed anyone...no one can say that about smoking.

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Expect anything in the first couple of weeks.  You can do this.  Hang in there

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome, you can do this quit one precious smoke free day at a time or one hr, minute or even one second at a time but as long as you keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days WON then you will be successful, stick with N.O.P.E and vigilance because it will give you a beautiful smoke free life Because S.I.N.A.O  - Smoking Is Not An Option,believe in yourself, be willing, determined and totally committed to succeed and you can and will be successful. 

0 Kudos
elvan

You need to say NOPE over and over again and remember that there are no shortcuts through this and the only way out is through...it DOES get better but you have to give it time.  Time really is your friend here...the longer you stay away from it, the better, your addiction is strong but it is not stronger than you.