cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tygr052

Do you feel this way after you work out???

Hi...I quit smoking on March 12, 2010 @ 10a.  I dont think I will ever forget that info...hehe....anyway...let me get back on tract...

About a month ago I started doing stair stepping.  I can really notice a diff in myself physically.  Especially in my chest.  For the past 2 months, after I go for a healthy walk or do the stairs, I notice that my chest feels like it did when I had a cold right after I smoked a cigarette.  Kinda tight.  I can even feel it in my throat.  I chock it up to the toxins still leaving me.  I dont know how long that takes.

I know it doesnt really sound like I have a question in this but I do...how long till I stop feeling like this???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
almo2

This sounds like something I have - exercise-induced asthma.   I would feel much better if you went to your doctor and told them before the next time you work out or do strenuous activity.  They might recommend an emergency inhaler or other therapies to ease the symptoms. 

0 Kudos
cathi4

You need to see your doctor about this. While it is true that temporarily ,physical effects are heightened while in the detox process, this does not sound like one of the expected side effects. I did have some strange trouble due to the menthol toxicity (or lack of it) but that passed within the 2 week mark. I tell everyone why not get a good tune up from your doctor and get some of those well earned pats on the back.

Congrats on your quit. I am proud of you!

0 Kudos
bermecm

'm glad you're doing something constructive.  I have asthma and an underlying heart condition.  I was/am an aerobics instructor and can barely walk the block right now.  However, when I was teaching aerobics I noticed that if I took my Advair before exercising my heart would race faster than normal. Yet, doing some calming breathing exercises like the 4-7-8 method (breathe in four counts, hold for seven counts and exhale on 8 counts) while meditating on something that calms me would better prepare me for the breath and energy I needed for teaching. And it was a lot more fun, too.  If you're on a stepper you don't have to focus on "the next move" and can focus on your breath and adjust your stepping to your breathing capacity. Don't work too hard- it doesn't even help your cardiovascular improvement to push yourself more than once a week.

God Bless. You are an encouragement to me.

0 Kudos
crushindior

I successfully quit for a few weeks in the beginning of the year. As an athlete, I noticed a HUGE improvement after only a week, and after two weeks, the heavy tightness in my chest had completely disappeared. It sounds like there may be another underlying issue here. 

0 Kudos
adaboy

I had this same problem the first time I quit when I was much younger.  For me it was due to overdoing it and went away as I trained myself up.  You might want to go to the doctor to be sure, but if you choose not to, you may consider pacing yourself better. 

0 Kudos
melz1978

I am not a doc; but I also have excercise enduced Asthma from back in my early high school years! When in doubt, check it out! Its awesome you joined our quit team and I congratulate you on doing so 🙂

0 Kudos