cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Depression after a quit?

Is it normal to feel a little depression after a quit? That's what I'm dealing with now and it's hard to shake it.

Tags (1)
32 Replies
elvan

Crazy is right...it really is an emotional roller coaster but it gets better!

Ralph1955

I wonder why mornings are the worst. Takes me a while to get through the morning crave

YoungAtHeart

Have you completely changed up your morning routine?  If you have done some things - then do MORE.  You will need to erase all traces of your former AM process.  Maybe get tennies on right out of bed (bed hair and all!) and go for a quick, brisk walk.  THEN home to a shower, and then maybe some juice or tea instead of coffee, and THEN come here and check in? 

The better you get at eliminating the triggers and associations,  the easier it will be.  After you have been quit for awhile, you can try to go back to your former routine, if you want.

This does take some effort in the beginning - but it IS worth it, I promise!

Nancy

elvan

I think a lot of people connected smoking with mornings, those who connected it with evenings have the hardest time then.  YoungAtHeart‌ is right...change your routine...it WILL help.

maryfreecig

Yes, the ups and downs can make one feel...crazy! Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
redpepper

Hey Ralph, etc. I'm with you, mister. I'm on my third, as of late, quit. This time, since 19 July, when I bummed that one cig from a stranger after a live show. have spent a lot of time in bed these last two days. And if I am up, all I want to do is eat. This is an awful lot of reality for me. But I am trying. God knows, I am trying so hard. Hang in here, friend. And I will too. --RedPepper

elvan

It does get better redpepper‌.  Give it some time and give yourself some credit for trying...this is a journey and many of us started and stopped more than once.  Keep going...you will get to a point where you realize you never thought of smoking for a whole day AND you didn't eat a refrigerator either.  It gets better!  Stay close to the site and read blogs...comment...talk to us, let us know how you are doing. We are here and we all want you to help.  There are no shortcuts...believe me, I looked for them.

Ellen

Ralph1955

Right there with you. This is my 3rd quit and what I found was whenever I get an urge to smoke instead of eating food I go for Italian ices, fresh fruit or lemonade. It’s working too. I also think an important part of a quit is talking to someone but not just a friend but someone who is also going through the quit process. This forum is great but I think it’s a great idea to talk with a fellow ex smoker feeling what we’re feeling 

redpepper

Thanks, Ralph. I think you're onto something with talking to someone in person or live or close by. Problem is, my craves come on so fiercely and quickly, then suddenly I'm unable to find anyone. I dunno. I mentioned in my blog a few weeks ago about being at my desk or sitting, period. I cannot sit or I want to smoke. These days, I cannot stand or I want to smoke. Jeez whiz. And what's worse is that --at least these last few days--I am completely unable to concentrate on anything at all. I feel mentally challenged. I am mentally challenged.  My typing skills have gone out the window, too. Coordination, too. I walk into a room and cannot remember why I went there. I am forgetting things--leaving things on/running when I leave house, etc. And my vision seems to have changed 100%. My contacts aren't working anymore. Good golly, Miss Molly. YIKES! Glad you're here, folks. All of you!

Ralph1955

Wow you really do need to calm yourself down my friend. I know it’s not easy and I experienced some of that too but it will pass. I’m here for you my friend.