cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Depression after a quit?

Is it normal to feel a little depression after a quit? That's what I'm dealing with now and it's hard to shake it.

Tags (1)
32 Replies
YoungAtHeart

MOVE!  Get up and MOVE!  Do a few jumping jacks, dance to your favorite music, do a few sets of steps. go for a brisk walk - even if only around your house or up and down a hallway.

I guarantee you will feel better -- maybe not 100%  - but better

Nancy

Ralph1955

0 Kudos
elvan

pktabron‌ I really hope you are feeling better and that the depression is lifting.  Remember that there are always going to be good days and bad days and remember also that exercise really DOES help.

Hugs,

Ellen

elvan

Depression is normal early in a quit...we have to learn to replace smoking with something HEALTHY that makes us feel happy.  I spent every morning and every evening on this site, reading and commenting and learning how others were keeping their quits.  It gets easier...I promise.  We used smoking to fill time and to comfort us even though it was killing us...we didn't think about that part.  That is why quitting is a journey...one day at a time.  

Hang in there.

Ellen

Lisaml

Me, too! 

It was like a grieving process at times. 

There are no short cuts or cheats. There are tools to make the road easier, so please talk to your doctor if things seem insurmountable for any length of time. 

Please know that smoking is not a cure/fix for depression, although it seemed like it, at times. I remember thinking “I would just feel so much better”. 

Nah, we wouldn’t. That’s just addiction talking. 

YouCAN do this!!! 

Ralph1955

I don’t know what I would do without you guys. Thank you so much for your help and continued support. Fighting the urge is fighting the depression or as you call it a loss. I’m headed to the right track. Love ya all.

Mroseforte

How are you doing?  I hope well! The depression gets to me also.  I may not ever see your response because I don’t understand this site it’s very difficult for me to navigate but I will try I hope all is well I’m trying to battle this depression myself 

Almost 30 days and still depressed

Ralph1955

Hi ya

I think I have a handle on the bouts of depression. Whenever it hits me I tell myself that the loss of cigarettes is a Celebration and not a cause for depression. I guess you have to show the addiction who’s the Boss. Stay Strong

Sent from my iPhone

maryfreecig

Seems that of those who quit smoking, about a third are relieved and proceed forward kinda happy, about a third find quitting somewhat difficult, and another third find quitting to be extremely difficult. If I felt depressed it was buried under fear, anger and anxiety. I wanted to feel happy about quitting (quit cold turkey 2013, found ex in 2016), but I wondered in the wilderness. It's so different for each person. I made it to a far happier place eventually, and I have no doubt that as long as you work your smobriety you to will reclaim your life one day at a time. It is not weird though to be a bit off in the beginning. Keep the faith.

Ralph1955

Thanks for the positive post. Sometimes I feel like I’m on a seesaw but happy to say that the ups outweigh the downs. Today was difficult but I got through it. Crazy journey isn’t it?