cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

maudeish

Day Three

Hello everyone, decided to join the forums in hopes of keeping with this non-smoking thing. I'm on Day 3 and I haven't had any crazy urges yet; I keep expecting them to pop up though. I've been smoking for about six or seven years. I'm quitting cold turkey, and while this website says quitting cold won't work or won't work in the long run, I disagree. I just finished reading a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr and it's been super helpful so far. I don't think about having a cigarette every minute... what gets me is going to bars and other places where people are smoking, so I'm letting myself have a few days before I step into that situation.

The thing I'm worried about right now is my husband quitting. I can't get him to look at this website or read that book for the life of me, even though when I ask him if he'd like to quit smoking, he says yes. He's been smoking for about 14 years so I feel he definitely won't have as "easy" of a time as I will. Any tips?

Well guess I'll get back to browsing the forum.... ❤️
0 Kudos
5 Replies
edith2

I would suggest that you focus on your quit. Hopefully your good example will encourage your husband. But if it doesn't, there's really nothing you can do. You can set your boundaries and let him know that his smoking bothers you and that you'd like him to not smoke around you. But like I said, just focus on what you need to do for yourself.
0 Kudos
jacob5

A lot of us quit cold turkey and it will work. You're not unfortunately be able to make your husband quit, but I live with a smoker also.... I've tried a bunch of times but it seems this time when I finally made up my mind, it doesn't even bother me they smoke. I dont know about at your house, but we smoke out doors anyway.

Good job and it gets much easier!
0 Kudos

You got the right book and the right idea.

It does not have to be as difficult as what people think it is

Your hubby has to decide for himself.

dale
0 Kudos
rj_

Maudeish,
congrats on the quit, I too am cold turkey, 1yr today from 30+yrs 0f 2+ pks a day, as with anything else in life it may not be always easy or always hard what ever means you choose. Concentrate on yourself and your quit, let your husband take care of hisself for now. You can lead a horse to water but but you can't make it drink.
I am attaching a couple items you will find useful.
Again congrats, the most difficult time is likely the first few days of nicotine detox .

RJ...Free and Healing 1 yr today saving 50 days of life, $3344.56 choosing not to inhail death 14,642 death sticks one day at a time.
0 Kudos
melissa49

Hello, and good for you on quitting!!! I found Allen Carr's book to be very valuable to keeping my quit for the rest of my life.

As for your husband, unfortunately it'll have to be him that initiates any education if he finds out he's suffering terribly and can't seem to keep his quit. BUT, you can be the best example to him by keeping yourself up to date on your addiction, which means knowing your triggers and why you are feeling the way you do.

Welcome and congrats to you!
:)mel
0 Kudos