cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Day 1 looking for advice

Hi All, just put out my last smoke 30 minutes ago, determined to quit. I have smoked 19 years with a 1 year break 5 years ago.  Any advice to make it through the next couple of weeks?

26 Replies
maryfreecig

If you have not already made out a list of things you are willing to do other than smoke, please make one. Keep it handy and go to it when you need or want to.

This is a one day at a time journey--there is no other way to smober up. Stick with Ex because we're here for you 365.

The blogs below are powerful, hope you read them:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-...  by Jackie

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/10/28/with-committment-we-can-will-succeed  by Marilyn

Dopamine - the Double Edged Blade by Thomas

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes by Nancy

also: What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Quitting Cigarettes Journal  my own quit blog (google) started in 2014

Welcome!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome Icandothis1313, how are you doing this evening? We're all here to help you in any way we can.....

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

How is it going?

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @Icandothis1313 and kudos to you on starting this journey! You've got lots of supporters at the ready for you here. Make sure to keep checking out the recommendations on your EX Plan, too -- they update weekly with ideas for you! Keep us posted how it's going.

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

Where are you?  @Icandothis1313   Come back.  Challenge yourself again.  If you think you can do it,  I want to assure you - you CAN.  So don't stop trying.  Ya know?

Daund

I smoked my last cig 10 minutes ago and prayed for the Strength to make it this time. I bought sugar free candy and started a keto diet 3 weeks ago to get a little under my normal weight. Every time I tried to quit before the weight gain made me start smoking again every time. I also signed a contract with my daughter and have patches. I’m in a foul mood so gonna eat and go to 🛏 

Giulia

Bed is a good place to go to in the beginning to hide.  Foul moods are - to my mind pretty normal in the early stages.  We are not happy campers, and it's tough.  I think signing that "contract with your daughter,"  is a great incentive to keep going.  Don't let that agreed upon contract create strife.  (In case you have those moments when you do.)  She cared enough to make the contract, you cared enough to sign it.  

You have the strength necessary.  The more education and support you get from this site, the more able you will be to arise each day and continue on.  We're all rootin' for ya!

Barbscloud

@Daund Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your first day won. What you're experience now is normal, so be patient with yourself.

You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.  What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to keep your commitment to yourself.

Consider posting to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the group and receive some well deserved support.

Barbscloud_0-1686051234386.jpeg

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Good luck best wishes