cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nae5

Cant do a day ... but so far I can do 3-5 minutes

Hello all,

Im new to site and to being a non smoker. Today is my 2nd full day without any type of anything . Yesterday being the first day I thought it would be the hardest yet I am finding today to be much more diffcult for some reason . I found this thing about the 5 D's and it helps me Delay ..Distract.. Drink Water...Deep Breaths... Discuss your feelings... and that urges only last between 3-5 minutes . Im kinda of looking at it like labor lol just tryin to breath though the pain and remembering that I will have something great to show for it at the end ... My main reason to quit is because I am 41 . My mother passed  away in December of last year she was 59 she was a smoker ... my grandmother passed away at 58 she was a smoker ... I want to celebrate my 60th bd ...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hahenk

I am also a newbie, I quit 3 days ago and same as you, the first day was much easier than I though, today is day 3 and its been tuff. I have found that when I sit idle its way worse. I have tried my best to keep busy and change my daily habits. I have been smoking since I was 14 and am now 37, I have had 2 grand parents die from smoking related deaths and am watching my father in law labor to breath (while still smoking and on O2, due to COPD) and I do not wan tto follow in their foot steps. I also want to watch my children grow up and get to meet my grand children an dknow that if I do not stop smoking, forever, that may never happen. As hard as it may be to fight the urges to smoke, I will continue being a quiter!
0 Kudos
nae5

Rock on!! You have the right attitude thats for sure! Yes day 3 also for me sucked lol I am not gonna lie I am on day 6 and its a little easier but this is one of the hardest things I have ever really done . Its a mental thing . You can do it dont let anyone mainly yourself if you are like me tell you that you cant . YOU CAN .

0 Kudos
genie4

Hi...I keep trying day after day. I can make it till about 3:30, and then I collapse. Ugh. I ask for one whole day, and then maybe I'll have the strength to continue. I did quit in May for three weeks. Why I started up again, I don't know

0 Kudos
nae5

Its a addiction! Yet your back here and your ready to rejoin the fight to overcome it . So way to go  and hurray for you ! You can do it . You can get past 330. You did  it before , Its only the junkie telling you you cant just hang in till 335 and it wont seem so big or so bad . Im on my 20th day . It can be done .Get through the minutes and soon they will take care of the day for you 🙂

0 Kudos