cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

desiree465

Body Scan

I keep seeing commercials for these body scans. The commercial starts with a lady climbing a mountain of cigarettes and goes on to say that after you quit get a body scan. It makes sense that you would want to catch lung cancer early but I also know better than to put too much stock into a commercial. Has anyone gotten a scan like this? If so, how long after your quit did you get one? I plan on asking my doctor when I go in to see him soon but was wondering if any of you had opinions on them.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
Bonnie

YES!!!!!!!! Not smoking doesn't get us to heaven. Life doesn't miraculously become worry and stress-free because we quit smoking (DARN!-we SO "deserve" that because it is so hard to quit! NOT) We still live in this world, with its craziness and challenges, some of which we created ourselves with our smoking addiction (I think I could have paid CASH for a nice home with all the $ I sunk into cigs).  We just didn't know when we started smoking and then the addiction took over....all we can do is start from here.. I burned through $  I couldn't afford to lose in the past 10 years to spend on cigs...stupid addiction!!!! Only recovering addicts understand...which is why coming here every day has become so important to me..I deactivated my "Facebook" account, would much rather spend my "internet" time with my EX "family", and though the internet may become a "luxury" for me, for now it's my lifeline because of EX and the monthly bill is still less than half of what I spent on smokes  How are your ribs doing?  I cracked a rib once when I was young and it was so painful...you are in my prayers... Love, Bonnie

0 Kudos
elvan

Bonnie   My ribs are, shall we say...challenging.  The left side is MUCH worse than the right and it is very hard to get comfortable when I try to sleep.  I am continuing to take as deep breaths as I can...I am pretty sure that I have some inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage because my ribs make an odd creaking sound when I move and THEY move.  It is incredibly painful but I don't think it is risky...I even found something that said it can be injected with cortisone if it doesn't improve and if I can FIND a doctor who can do it. It WILL get better.  Thanks so much for your prayers.  Ribs are terribly painful, I have broken many over the years and it never get any easier.  

I spent a great deal of time here and very little time on Facebook...at least HERE, people have been where you are and know exactly what it feels like.  You are doing great, just keep going forward.

Love,

Ellen

Bonnie

I have to deactivate my FB profile to stay off...that "addictive" personality, you know .  I would rather spend time here where I am helping myself and I hope my comments may help others...I don't feel badly about the time I spend here at all.   Here's to your ribs healing sooner rather than later...sleep well tonight, dear friend...

0 Kudos
elvan

Bonnie   I haven't deactivated it because I look at photos my daughter posts on there...I do not spend any time there though...my addictive personality is more than satisfied with EX.

Have a great day,

Ellen

Bonnie

elvan‌  You, too, Ellen!

KTQeeyore

I had my first CT scan last year. Found 3 small nodules. Followed up with another scan with dye 3 months later

and my pulmonologist  said he saw no changes and thought all was good and scheduled another scan in 1 year.

My insurance covers 1 scan a year if you meet the criteria. All smokers and exers should get the scan! What are

you waiting for?   

Sandy-9-17-17

When you say small, how small?  

0 Kudos
KTQeeyore

I believe they ranged from 4 to 8 mm.

Sandy-9-17-17

Mine were 9 mm, and they said they typically do not do anything unless they  are 10mm or bigger, then they would want to do a biopsy..... 

marciem

Yes that's right and what the pulmonologist said... he had to consult with radiologist because the size of mine was just borderline less than 10 mm (1 cm)... it was decided to go ahead with PET scan, and from there it was just at the smallest size that the interventional radiologist would needle biopsy, at 10 mm.

I was very lucky... and perhaps it was best that my original doc didn't order the test when I first asked, which gave the cancerous tumor time to grow big enough to biopsy and treat.  God works in wonderous ways, always.