cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

desiree465

Body Scan

I keep seeing commercials for these body scans. The commercial starts with a lady climbing a mountain of cigarettes and goes on to say that after you quit get a body scan. It makes sense that you would want to catch lung cancer early but I also know better than to put too much stock into a commercial. Has anyone gotten a scan like this? If so, how long after your quit did you get one? I plan on asking my doctor when I go in to see him soon but was wondering if any of you had opinions on them.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You might want to check into Low Dose CT scans as KTQeeyore‌ mentioned.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
GyorgyiM

The "Mind" is a powerful thing....I think when we over process then we can create issues or circumstances that were NOT there originally....

As " jbliesmer"  wrote, if you have symptoms then by all means....

In the meantime................

Live....Love....Laugh .......and Breath Deeply.

Smiles...

JACKIE1-25-15

A wise elder once told me "do not borrow trouble".  We worry too much.  Nothing wrong with caution but....

0 Kudos
elvan

I had my first Low Dose CT scan of my lungs a year and a half after I quit smoking, that led to a VQ Scan and then surgery to remove the upper lobes of my lungs.  Not because of cancer but because of emphysema.  Did it help...yes, at least at first.  Now, I have repeat low dose CT scans once a year...I had to have an extra one after the surgery because of scar tissue.  I have nodules in my lungs which have not changed since the first scan.  Mine was all covered by insurance but the hospital has a grant and certain criteria have to be met to get it covered.  I have not seen the ads you are talking about.  As a retired RN, I have some issues with advertisements for surgeries, xray procedures, and medications...there USED to be something called ethics that prevented that for doctors and lawyers.  Boy am I ever old.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Ethics?

What is that about which you speak?  I believe I may have read about it in the history books?

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ Yeah, that's how old I am...it was ILLEGAL for doctors or lawyers to advertise and no one even considered pharmaceuticals or surgical procedures.  Honestly, I feel like I am obsolete.

Bonnie

Love you, Ellen! Now that I'm working, I realized I'll be watching less TV, which means less commercials.  Fortunately I don't have the medical conditions that the commercials for new drugs address, but I KNOW I've fallen prey to the food commercials.  Maybe less TV = weight loss for me,

elvan

Bonnie  Some of these ads seriously disturb me...I don't like seeing ads for medications so prolific on TV, it upsets me because I feel like people are self diagnosing and then self medicating.  My rheumatologist has a mug that says...Do NOT mistake your GOOGLE search for my M.D.  She rolls her eyes if I tell her that I looked something up on line so I don't do it any more...sometimes, I will tell her that a friend of mine suggested something and I will ask HER opinion.  

When I went to my pulmonologist...I actually had notes I had taken from things that Thomas3.20.2010‌ suggested and I asked for a spirometry and an echocardiogram and a low dose CT Scan...she was actually pretty receptive and I was given at least some peace of mind.

I find that whenever I decide to eliminate something from my diet...the ads are ridiculously tempting.  It's amazing how many ads there are for food.  I HATE that I am not able to be as active as usual because of my ribs.  This too shall pass and I will be working out again as soon as I can...hopefully without causing any injuries.  Good luck with the new job.  I only work one day a week and I really need the money but even more than that...I need the contact with other people...it's really rewarding.

Ellen

Bonnie

Thanks, Ellen (The a dealie didn't work for me this time) I'm hangin' in with the job but it gets overwhelming as the day goes buy...I'm doing the best I can and I enjoy the human contact, too, but there's a LOT going on at work and everyone is pretty much overextended, which I sense and try not to add to anyone's stress but the training was poor and we are so busy, blah, blah, blah.  I just pray before I walk through the door and do the best I can.  I need the $ too.  Taking a day at a time AND NOT SMOKING..it really is a bit of amazing that I am still smokefree, but I know it's because of all the wonderful support and care I have received here...

elvan

Bonnie  It DOES get better...sort of in spite of ourselves.  It's a journey and to focus on one day at a time is the only way through...BUT, if it's a particularly BAD day, we have to accept that we had those when we smoked too.  Smoking never made them better...it made US weaker.  This site is a life saver!

Hugs,

Ellen