cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Begin, begun, be what?

My quit is not going so well. It's all on me and I know that. My drop dead date is still October 1, but I'm going for long stretches at a time without smoking. Doing a lot of soul searching and reading Carr's book. I'm rereading "Why is it so hard to quit" right now. I'll get it done, but sort of embarrassed, and wanted to let y'all know what's happening out here. I'm changing my quit date to October 1 and if I do go 24 before then, I'll change it back. 

Still reading!

43 Replies
Strudel

You can do this - keep reading! 

elvan

JonesCarpeDiem‌ delayed every cigarettes a little each time he wanted one and when he got down to 5 a day, he realized he was just feeding the addiction.  He used the patch and he has been smoke free for a very long time.  I quit when I got so sick that it was taken out of my hands, I would not recommend that to anyone.  

You can do this and you have nothing to be embarrassed about...this is a journey and it is one day at a time.  Jennifer had some great suggestions.  Reward yourself when the day comes...celebrate and, absolutely get rid of all cigarettes and things you associate with them, you might even move some furniture around outside (I only smoked outside) so I changed the set up of the lawn furniture.  I did not stop going outside because I could still go out and take deep breaths and relax...I didn't need to smoke.  I could take smoke free breaks and so can you.

Ellen

DonnaMarie

The countdown is on target. I have more determination than motivation. The one thing I know is I will not spend another cent on cigarettes. I'm getting ready to 'half-retire' and I don't want that expense. Why do I want to continue to spend money on something that is poisoning me. That is a poor rendition of something Carr reminds us. Thanks for hanging in there with me. 

I used the patch. I used 11 of them and then I got off when I forgot two days in a row. There's no insistence you use them for six months. The manufacturers surely want you to use them. Listen to your body. If you forget, test yourself. you can always slap one on. It's a win win situation.

Fee33

The quit app on your phone under playstore it tells you how long you haven't smoked etc an even tells you how many days you lost off your life from past smoking it's really helping me alot I'm going cold turkey have been since the 24th it's day 4 no cigarettes hope this helps the app is called quitting smoking app it's a cigarette logo. Don't be embarrassed we r all Strong an we will all get through this together I'm new here by the way keep up the good work not wanting to buy anymore cigarettes I'm with you on that. PRAY that's what I do more then ever is praying. Good luck you got this!!! 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I believe that you can do it.  One day at a time.  Do not doubt yourself.  The freedom that you achieve will overcome the  fear if you are willing to go through some rough patches.  You can do this. 

ahkhippiechic

I believe that you can do it just like all the seasoned elders responding!  If I could I would ride a magic wind to where you are the day you quit and hold your hand when you begin to experience withdrawal and stay with you through each crave until you see that you are in charge and can tell addiction NOPE without fear or pain or struggle.  Super happy to be able just write something to you!  Blessings!

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I'm headed to bed, but wanted to stop by and mention that i am a master of rationalization and denial, and that makes me sad. I need to figure out how to turn that around and have it work for me. 

bonniebee

You can become the master of the power of positive thinking and living one da at a time I used to be such a negative thinker joining Ex with so many uplifting and powerful positive thinkers really turned things around for me ! As I changed my thinking quitting actually became and exciting challenge and was so much easier ! I hope today is a great one for you whether you smoke or not some days  are up and some down !saying flowers rock good on for quitting.jpg

I love this quote !

DonnaMarie

That graphic is so beautiful.

0 Kudos