cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anaussiemom

Battling buying smokes HELP!

Ohmygerd The last 12 hours all I think about cigarettes
Went to bed with it, got up at 3 with the thought.  Still heavily in negotiations with my addiction.
And wanting to go back to that life style

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
56 Replies
Giulia

You wrote it very well actually.  Have to ponder it before I respond.  But my immediate question would be:  what did you do to shake the thought of smoking?  You say "no matter what I did."  What were they?  And - if none of what you did worked, what are you going to try next, instead?  There is no limit to our imagination and the things we can try.  We just have to find the things that work.  That's the fun part of the challenge.

anaussiemom

Giulia‌  I played with dogs, went outside some.   Could not breath well but read that was somewhat normal when your a quitter. 
Showers, nico gum, pop cycles, atomic cinnamon ballls.  Binged netflix worked out a lil"
Did couple yoga with hubby. tried.  Read, I have so much to do.  Really missing normal" whatever that is in our lives.  Crazy times.  Hardest thing was being active due to shortness of breath felt it was a lot from not smoking.   My brain would not shut off.   Insomnia with gerd.  To much Nico gum only ate maybe 4 pieces a day 2 mg.  But my body said hell no I think.  I have lots and lots to do.  Not sleeping was really effecting my emotions.  I trued teas, warm milk, baths, cat purrs..

Giulia

Okay, so none of those things you did worked to change your focus.  At least not for a long enough time.  But those are easy things.  They don't occupy the brain.  Perhaps you need to find something stimulating, fun, and takes a great deal of focus.  Like a new hobby.  Can you think of one that you've never tried that might work for you?  I always mention Origami because it's a hobby that is intricate, but you don't have to spend money on.  Another thought - have you tried guided meditations?  If not, maybe give it a go.  It may not shut off your brain all day, but at least you will be able to focus on something else for a half hour or so.  There are many guided meditations on line.  

"Hardest thing was being active due to shortness of breath felt it was a lot from not smoking."  Now that sounds crazy to me.  We don't get short of breath from not smoking.  We lost lung capacity BY smoking.  Unless you mean you were having a panic attack from not smoking and those certainly can cause shortness of breath.  

anaussiemom

Giulia‌  LOL No  the shortness of breath was all of a sudden spurred on.  Quite sure it was not from not smoking/hence breathing deeply...   Whatever the case, oxygen is a good thing!  I will try what you have suggested Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. 

anaussiemom

Giulia
https://www.newhealthadvisor.org/shortness-of-breath-after-quitting-smoking.html 

I also had night sweats the first 4 or 5 days, then it ceased.

0 Kudos
Giulia

You were 3 weeks in.  You were over the night sweats, right?   That's a fine link you gave.  It shows that we can have shortness of breath.   Are you practicing what it suggested doing to combat it? I don't mean once or twice, I mean every time it happens?  Change takes work.  We have to apply ourselves.  I'm working on that myself in certain areas of my life.  And it takes constant work.  I'd better shut up now, I'm starting to go into tough love mode and I know you don't want that.  

==================== 

Breathing Exercises After Quitting Smoking

The shortness of breath after quitting smoking can be reduced by engaging in deep breathing exercises. Here are three breathing techniques that may help.

• Belly Breathing Feels Better: Belly breathing involves allowing your belly to expand as you take a deep breath. You’ll become more conscious of your breathing by watching yourself breathe. The most positive effects are best achieved when having deep breathing in a quiet place.
  • Do Hold Your Breath: Holding your breath is a great way to practice deep breathing. Start by slowly and deeply inhaling and exhaling several times, counting to eight each time. Then take in a full breath until you can’t take in any more air. Hold your breath for 5 seconds, and then exhale. Inhale and exhale a few times before repeating the process over again.
  • Open Your Mouth and Say "Ah": Saying “ah” as you exhale can help you with belly breathing. In fact, a forced exhaling with belly breathing is a type of yoga exercise called pranayama. To do pranayama, inhale slowly through your nose until your lungs are full of air. Then exhale slowly through your mouth while you say “ah”. This pranayama exercise will help you improve your lung capacity and allow you to inhale and exhale more deeply.

================ 

anaussiemom

Everyday everyone works on oneself.  That is a given in life.
No matter who you are we have to evolve if we want to or not.  Good bad ugly!

Thank you Giulia

I understand. It isn't always easy to slowly turn into a butterfly as you well know.
I will never give up.  EVER!  I will always keep quitting til the day I die, if I must.!

Thank you for your words

~Kim