cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karen49

August Quitters

I am approaching 90 days. I quit 2 years ago & lasted 6 mos., but gained so much weight I started smoking again. I am surprised this time, even approaching 90 days, there are days the urge to smoke is really bad!! I'm ok when we go to the bar, it's like I'm ready for it then, but it's at the oddest times I crave a cigarette. I'm starting to do the hand-to-mouth thing now when I crave a smoke. So far I'm still holding my own with my weight.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
209 Replies
choozlife

I have...both the gum and patch. The patch works better but for me, I put it on the outer part of my upper arm as it itches for like an hour if I put it anywhere else. If anyone uses the gum, make sure you chew it then tuck it in between your gums and cheek, that's how it releases the nicotine, otherwise you get too much too soon and feel icky. I am starting the patch soon as well. In the past, I had no real support group as most of the family doesn't smoke, so it's not like I want to call my mom a million times a day when stressed, etc. So this site I think will be very helpful in the venting category ans well as encouraging others.

Rachel

0 Kudos
lmgilder

Hi Rachael. I look forward to seeing you here. The only one that smokes in my family is my sister. I am going to get the patch. I am getting everything together before my quit date. I think the site will be great for support.

0 Kudos
gypsy7

Hi and welcome! I will also be using the patch. It does seem funny how that when you make a choice to quit or even eat better you seem to turn into a mad man!! I am also starting a weight loss routine now before my quit day which is set for the 21st. I have starting walking every day for an hour. I do not bring my cigarettes with me so it wont be a part of it when I quit.  If anyone wants to start that with me too, I would like it. I started with just 20 minutes a day.

0 Kudos
lmgilder

I know yesterday when  found the site because I made the decision to quit and was looking for aids I found this site. As soon a I did the mad man starting coming out...lol I am getting everything ready and looking and reading.

I look forward to seeing here and we can motivate each other. I am so glad I found this site for support and a place to go if I'm having a bad day or moment.

0 Kudos
mrsgutie

Hi! My quit date is Aug. 15th. I am going to try without an aid. I know, I know, it sounds crazy but the crazy thing is that I can smoke and inhale all that poison but I am terrified of what the aids are going to do to me. I have 3 kids (15,7 and 4) and they are starting school and the fall round of sports, soccer football and gymnastics so hopefully them being crazy busy will help me to stay too busy to smoke. Gypsy,I love your idea of not bringing your cigs along on your walk! I think I will try that with the sports! Good luck everyone!

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

WELCOME!!!   We all hang out in blogs.

Click the link and come join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/mod/blog/everyone.php

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

0 Kudos
joyeuxencore

0 Kudos
kfelix1

Hello everyone, I am new on here and using forums but I feel Ill need support with this major life change 😉 I signed up a few days ago and set my date for Aug 11 however as of 3 hrs ago I have not smoked in 24 hours. I have been using a larger e cig which has helped me and I was using it while I had cut back on smoking the past few days but those in between smokes tasted so bad after using an e cig so it was a good deterrant. I was smoking over a pack a day I have been smoking since preteen and I am 33, I only last quit when I was pregnant 12 years ago and my daughter was born 3 months early. In the past year my house burnt down, lost 2 cats, said bye to my 7 year partner and met someone who made me see I needed changes so here I am kind of on this somewhat spiritual/physical journey..... a turning point 😉 I am determined to keep going on this as I do feel some promising changes that override the chest back neck and especially jaw pain and high anxiety its quite overwhelming. I am trying to drink more water and eat lighter healtier snacks rather then a bigger higher fat meal so its easier to fight my biggest trigger so yea.... thats about where Im at right now, anyone can feel free to send me a message I find that helping others can help oneself and this is prob the best place for all of us to be 😉

0 Kudos
gypsy7

I am happy to see the numbers for this group growing 🙂 Even though we have different quit days, we are all here for each other! I am on and off this site at random times. anyone who wants more one on one talks can send me messages any time. I look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos