cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

fiveblessings

As hard to quit as heroin

I was watching that Dr Oz guy on Oprah yesterday- and I normally don't watch Oprah- but they were trying to help 9 people quit smoking. Oh, their video diaries brought home how flipping hard this is. They were either antsy and nervous or weeping on day one. Let's face it folks, it is hard work to quit. But it is so rewarding to see it through. They commented that quitting nicotine is as hard as quitting heroin but most people have more empathy for the heroin addict than the nicotine addict.
Well! I'M empathetic. And most of the people I know are either smokers who want to quit or ex-smokers. Huh. I didn't realize that until I just typed it. I know very few people who have never smoked. Huh. Anyway, most of the people I know, know how hard it is from experience. I feel terribly for anyone who has no support IRL. But thank God for this site. And if you have a lack of support "out there", stay here with us!

😉

It's a war, but battle by battle we are going to win!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
manofsteele

I tried to quit so many times .... 4 years ago noone that knew me at all would think I could stop for 4 hours or 4 days without cheating to find a smoke ..... so I quit "trying" to quit and just did it with help.

I think there is an easy road and harder road to quiting. I did it the hard way 4 years ago and today I would do it the easier way. I think I can help some people here either way.

If you need people to support your smoke free journey please see if these groups offer the type of support you are looking for this time. A lot of people that support in these groups have long term very strong smoke free quits and are willing to help others the same way we were helped and searching for the answer.

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/dailypledge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Pledge - Quit Party Central - Relapse Traps
Game Room Quit Reasons - Thanks and Praise
Tough Luv - Words of Wisdom - Find a Quit Buddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great Reading - http://www.tobacco-facts.info/
For a Free Quit Keeper - http://dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

YOU CAN DO IT ... we can help .....just ask ! 5.4 Million die due to smoking related causes every year. That's 2000 times a 9/11

ray steele - smoke free and luving it --- So can you !
0 Kudos
catmom24

I have to agree, it's harder to quit than crack. Which I haven't touched since 1987, but that was a whole other nightmare. Maybe it was easier to give up cause, hey, you can't run to your corner convenience store and buy some. Or ask your friends to pick some up on the way over.

Anyway, this is my third quit smoking attempt - I made it two weeks in 2001, 6 months in 2003, and I'm hoping this time is the last!
0 Kudos
christibro

I have a chronic disease, I also used other drugs, once I decided to stop, and got help, or willpower I did it. Smoking sincd 11 or 12 now 40ish, I have tried so many methods, but it is worse than coming off addictive medications for the illness I have (Lupus), and as a writer, the writing and music industry I write in, makes it all the harder. Musicians, shows, deadlines... My life is also stressful in general. No matter how many times, this is the 1 thing I couldn't stop
0 Kudos
molly3

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 19 hours, 53 minutes and 56 seconds (17 days). I have saved $85.57 by not smoking 356 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 5 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/11/2008 12:00 AM

Good luck to everyone! It's amazing how helpful this site can be just by checking in and reminding yourself you're not doing this alone and it is tough!
Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement!
0 Kudos
tommy3

I got off alcohol,pills,pot,and cocaine in the past,but tobacco was the hardest!
0 Kudos
suzzy12345

You are talking about addiction....it is going to be real hard....you will experience major withdrawals, cravings, and want to sleep alot (when it is first coming out of your system). I totally understand what a addict of other substance(s) experiences when they are trying to quit, I have seen teenagers experience the withdrawals, cravings, shakes. Some end up going back for me as they just cannot handle it. They try again, and again - and some even make it to Treatment. Some relapse from their - some wait until they marble out and then relapse. It is a cycle, and it can be a wicked one at that. Some of us will be lucky, and some of us will have set backs. We all need to be supportive to the good and bad times that people will experience on a daily basis.
0 Kudos