cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cindy31

New to group - my quit date is 6/14 - Can you help?

I quit 23 years ago for 4 years. Then, I visited my uncle who told me I should join him in a cigarette. Big mistake!!
Now, I definitely have to quit for health reasons and I am really fearful because after the last time I quit, I became really sick with a thyroid problem. It was not resolved for 18 years, so I guess in my head I am still worried that something bad will happen this time, too. Believe me, the thyroid problem was extremely serious and I almost died from it. So, I guess although I want to quit, I am terrified of something like that happening again. Still, my target date is within 2 weeks from today. I have cut down - almost by half - in the past week, but as you can see above, I still have some fears about quitting based on my last experience when I quit. Do any of you have some suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all, in advance.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
cindy25

Are you trying the Ex program? It really helped me build confidence about this quit before i stopped smoking! Confidence and attitude is everything. I highly recommend you do the program. Separate from triggers (not just decrease the amount of cigarettes) is key. That is the re-learn part.....coffee in the morning can be enjoyed without smoking! Driving can actually occur without smoking in the car, etc. Try it. You can do it!
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 4 hours, 51 minutes and 24 seconds (19 days). I have saved $67.19 by not smoking 192 cigarettes. I have saved 16 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 5/11/2008 5:13 PM
0 Kudos
cindy31

Holly,
Thank you.
I told my DR ( unfortunately, she's my PCP, and not the original Thyroid DR. He retired a few years ago.). She told me just to quit - she kept trying to get me to take wellbutrin or Chantix. I tried Wellbutrin and it did not work. As far as the Chantix, a majority have had bad experiences on it - similar to what I had on Welbutrin - and I am afraid of that. The last time I quit, I used the gum and it worked, so I thought I'd try it again. Most DRs are so anti-smoking that they think anything is better than not smoking. They're probably right. At any rate, she and other DRS. just say that the thyroid problem could have been dormant in my body and just exacerbated when I quit smoking the last time. AS with so many things that go on in the body, they really do not know the reasons why things occur.
0 Kudos
cindy31

Cindy,
Thank you. Yes, I have set my quit date as 6/14 and that is why I posted. Still real scared about it, primarily due to the problems that I had the last time that I quit. Yes, I wanted to start out by cutting down and thus easing into it a bit. But, I do plan on quitting on 6/14. Yes. I went ahead and identified my triggers. Amazing how many we have. I am encouraged by your having quit. I am going to try my best to do so and I really appreciate your support.
Cindy N
0 Kudos
cindy31

Danielle,

Thank you.
I have been hyperthyroid free for almost 5 years now ( took 18 years for them to get me under control). I hope yours gets under or is under control, as I know how bad it can get. I went into thyroid storm and almost died. That is why I am so scared now. I think I will get it or some other serious illness when I quit. I know that may seem silly to some - as smoking is pretty bad, itself. But, I think in my mind that is why I am having so much trouble now getting ready to quit again.
Thanks so much for your support.
0 Kudos
cindy31

Thanks for the support. I am going to try my best.
0 Kudos
cindy31

Thanks, Tom, for the support and I am really glad to see that you've survived all you did. That is very encouraging.
0 Kudos
cindy31

Holly,
Thanks again for the kind words. Yes, the quitting is probably the single best thing I can do at this time. Last time, I did it with the gum, too. I only used the gum for about 2 days. Back then, the gum was not flavored as it is now. And chewing it was akin to chewing tobacco directly. So, 2 days was all it took. I am going to do the gum again this time. Will try to use it as per directions, but, like you, I will go with whatever works. Many thanks!
0 Kudos
jane-h

Cindy, Thanks for welcoming me. I appreciate it. I am still trying to figure this forum out so it might take me a while.
Regardless I think we have the same quit date. I am on day 6 of chantix, so far no difference. I have to quit. On april 26 I had a TIA (mini stroke) and I am 46 with a great family. So thanks for the intro and look forward to the support.
j
0 Kudos
cindy31

Jane,
Good Luck. You can do it - we all can. I am so sorry to hear about the stroke, but sounds like you're definitely doing the right thing, too. Yes, my quit date is 6/14. Am cutting back bet. now and then, though I am hoping I will just get to point to say enough of these awful things before then. We are all in this together.Take care.
0 Kudos