cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

scott-c

April 25 - anyone else up for this day?

So my quit date is April 25. I am having Lasik surgery this day, and I want to go completely smoke free from this day on. The hardest part will be my morning coffee, and also having a beer in the evenings. I greatly enjoy laying on the beach after work having a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. It has always felt very relaxing to me. These habits are what I need to break, in addition to "going out" when I am at work or at home with my roomate. It seems like so many people in my life smoke, and for the most part, I smoke to be social.

I have been a part-time smoker since I was 12 years old. I started as a smoker to rebel against my parents. Even today, as I am 28 years old, I sometimes think I still do it out of rebellion. My ex-girlfriend hated smoking, so I would always try to sneak a smoke. It seems like if someone doesn't want me to do something, that activity becomes more attractive to me. I know I can quit completely, as I go for a few days here and there without a ciggarette all the time, but the minute that someone asks me to go outside for a smoke, I "have" to have one.
For about 5 years of my life, I smoked almost a pack a day. For the past 3 or 4 years, I smoke between 5 and 10 ciggarettes a day, with some days not smoking any at all, and other days when I am out drinkign smoking a lot more.

Anyway, that was a long story about my smoking habits. Anyone else planning for the 25th?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott-c

Sue,
That's great! I guess my quit date was Sunday. I haven't really been having any more urges. I thought about smoking a lot on Monday here at work, but other than that, I haven't given it as much thought as I thought I would.

I am glad that you are a non-smoker now. Just drink a lot of water, and hang in there. I have a sheet hanging by my desk at work that outlines the changes that happen to our body at different milestones after quitting. Currently, all nicotene has left my body because I am not using a replacement therapy. I have this list of what happens to your body if you would like me to share it with everyone.

Good luck, Sue, and let me know how it is going for you!!!
Scott
0 Kudos
sue16

Hi Scott,
Im doing alot better today those urges i had yesterday are not so strong today once in awhile i get an urge, and it goes away. Would like to see the list that you have,please post it. Keep up the good work of being an ex-smoker. Long as we stay on the right path we will do fine. Keep me updated on how you are doing.
Sue
0 Kudos
sue16

Hey Scott,
Thank you for the ad post. No im not using anything but a toothpick !!! I went on youtube & looked up some of the smoking stuff on there man the one lady was really bad she was on her death bed & still wanted a cig,I cant imagine i dont want to be like that,gave me more reason to keep going smokefree.

Sue
0 Kudos