cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

scott-c

April 25 - anyone else up for this day?

So my quit date is April 25. I am having Lasik surgery this day, and I want to go completely smoke free from this day on. The hardest part will be my morning coffee, and also having a beer in the evenings. I greatly enjoy laying on the beach after work having a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. It has always felt very relaxing to me. These habits are what I need to break, in addition to "going out" when I am at work or at home with my roomate. It seems like so many people in my life smoke, and for the most part, I smoke to be social.

I have been a part-time smoker since I was 12 years old. I started as a smoker to rebel against my parents. Even today, as I am 28 years old, I sometimes think I still do it out of rebellion. My ex-girlfriend hated smoking, so I would always try to sneak a smoke. It seems like if someone doesn't want me to do something, that activity becomes more attractive to me. I know I can quit completely, as I go for a few days here and there without a ciggarette all the time, but the minute that someone asks me to go outside for a smoke, I "have" to have one.
For about 5 years of my life, I smoked almost a pack a day. For the past 3 or 4 years, I smoke between 5 and 10 ciggarettes a day, with some days not smoking any at all, and other days when I am out drinkign smoking a lot more.

Anyway, that was a long story about my smoking habits. Anyone else planning for the 25th?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
penny7

April 25 sounds like a great day to start, stop smoking, its my son's Birthday he'll be 27 and I'll be 49 in August. How do you plan on quitting? I have everything here to start this quest. Just need to get started.
0 Kudos
scott-c

I am planning on doing the patch, although I am going to try to see if my doctor can prescribe me the Nicotrol Inhaler. I was just reading an article on my EAP website here at work that says people who smoke should not also seek out an excercise program at the same time, since smoking reduces the oxygen going to different parts of the body. This is really bad! I am a runner and I lift weights. Reading that article scared me enough to KNOW that I must go through with it this time.

If I am unable to get the inhaler, then I probably will do the patch. I have tried the patch before. I am only able to do the smallest dosage. I guess since I am a light smoker, the 2 higher level patches are too much for me. When I have tried the higher dosages, I can feel my heart just racing!

So how are you planning to quit? I will actually probably have a ciggarette on Friday morning, but then quit. I am having lasik surgery at 2:30 pm on that day. I know that I won't be able to smoke the rest of the day, and really with my "new eyes" I just don't want to be a smoker at all any more.

Would you like to keep in touch as we do this together? I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I would love to have support from someone else who is going through the same thing. Maybe we could text each other when we are wanting a ciggarette and help each other to not want to smoke?

I see that you work out as well. Wouldn't it be great to work out without feeling the heaviness of our lungs? I actually have been able to tell the difference when I am lifting weights!

We can do this!!!
0 Kudos
scott-c

So I just called my doctor, and he will be returning my call shortly to tell me if he will prescribe the Nicotrol inhaler. I hope he does, but if not, then I will go buy the patch this evening.
0 Kudos
scott-c

So I ended up starting on the 27th instead of the 25th. My best friend came in town for my Lasik surgery, so I ended up having ciggarettes as we drank beer and cooked out. I have not had a ciggarette now since yesterday morning, and so far, I have thought about it a little bit, but I haven't been tempted to buy a pack. The weird thing is, I didn't smoke anything yesterday afternoon/evening, and I still woke up with a sore chest this morning, kind of like the mornings after I go drinking and have ciggarettes. I am wondering if this is my body trying to start to rid my lungs of all of the crap.

So today will be difficult. I have a habit of going outside with co-workers during the day to get away from my office, and smoking. Luckily the 2 people I usually smoke with are both on vacation all of this week, so hopefully that will help.

Did anyone else quit over the weekend? Hopefully there are a few others out there--

Have a great Monday, everyone!
Scott
0 Kudos
scott-c

Ok, so I am not sure if i am using this bulletin board in the correct way, but oh well.

So I have not had a ciggarette since Sunday morning. I wore the patch on Sunday and yesterday, however I chose not to wear the patch today as I could feel my pulse beating yesterday and I had a horrible head ache. Physically I feel great today. I do have a little bit of anxiousness because I keep thinking I should take break and go smoke, but I love how I am able to smell so much.

I have been coughing a lot today. I am guessing that this is my body starting to cough up some of the crap in my lungs. I can't wait to go running and see if I can tell the difference! I have been having cravings, though, and I am doing everything in my power not to give in to those cravings. If anyone wants to send some encouragement, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am very happy that I do not smell like cigarettes!
Scott
0 Kudos
laura58

Okay so it is Wednesday...how are you doing? You think you WAnt asmoke but you don't. It's your addiction trying to trick you. DONT GIVE IN. You are young and Strong. You can do this. I have smoked for almost 20 years and tried to quit so many times I've lost track. Not this time. this time is for good. We can do this. We aren't going to Die without a smoke but we will die sooner if we have one.
0 Kudos
scott-c

Ok, so I tried to scan the page and then post it here, but it came out too dark. So I am going to type it:

"One of the main reasons it is so hard to quit smoking is because all of the benefits of quitting and all the dangers of continueing seem very far away. Well, here's a little timeline about some fo the more immediate effects of quitting smoking and how that will affect your body RIGHT NOW.
-In 20 minutes, your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
-In 8 hours, the carbon monoxide (a TOXIC gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and the oxygen levels will return to normal
-In 48 hours, your chance of having a HEART ATTACK will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level
-In 72 hours, your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
-In 2 weeks, your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
-In three to nine months, coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity imrpoves by 10%!
-In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
-In 5 years, your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
-In 10 years, your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
In 15 years, your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker."

So I have this posted next to my desk. I went running this morning, and I actually could already tell a difference with my breathing ability. Also, if you do a google search, I know the state of New York has some great (and gross) anti-smoking commercials to encourage people to quit. I watched these commercials, and they really make you think about the health consequences. I think you could probably google new york state department of health smoking, as well as a few other terms to find the videos.

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better with less urges today, Sue. Are you using any type of nicotine replacement?
0 Kudos
scott-c

So I am curious... how many people reading this have quit? Anyone actually do the 25th? I wish I had done the 25th, but the 27th works well for me 🙂
0 Kudos
sue16

Hi Didnt make my quit date the same as urs i quit on 4-28-08 @ 8 pm,so far im doing pretty good yesterday i was having some really strong urges 2 smoke but instead of smoking i used toohpicks to chew on. I want 2 be 100% smoke free before my birthday on May 25, so here i go working on that goal !!! Good Luck To everyone
Sue
0 Kudos