cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dawn9

April 10th quit date

I'm new to this site, saw the ad on TV last night, it was like a sign. I've been feeling sick lately, and smoking isn't helping, yesterday after work as I smoked my last cig. this gut wrenching feeling came over me and I realized I can't keep doing this to my body. Instead of my normal stop at the store for another pack of smokes, I just kept on driving. I got home and hugged my son tighter than ever, and I'm going to do this. If not for myself, for him. I've already tried all the pills and whatnot, they always work for a couple days then I'm back to smoking, this time its cold turkey, and a whole lot of big red gum, lol. Any advice on how to make this easier would be great. Good luck to everyone, it's a hard battle.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
kim61

I am with you I am just getting tired of smoking and the way it makes me feel I too have a son and would like to quit for him as well I am just nervous about the cold turkey thing. I have done it before and gone 6 weeks but this time I bought the patch and am hoping that will help.<</body>
0 Kudos
doris2

Well good luck to you, I am on five days now and doing the nicotine gum but not liking it either. Tried the patch and it made me sick, think I will go with you and just stick to regular gum and mints! Good Luck to you!
0 Kudos
dawn9

I have TMJ so the nicotine gum is too rough on my jaw, have to stick with soft gum. The patch broke my skin out everywhere I put it, gave up on that. Lol. Good luck to you also. 🙂
0 Kudos
leslie9

Hi,

I am new to this site and this is the first time that I actually posted on any website. I too saw this site advertised last night and I understand the feeling of not being well and I am sure smoking isnt helping me either. After reviewing this site last night, I set my target date of April 23 (48th BD). But after smoking more today than usual, I realized I too have to go cold turkey tomorrow (April 11). I am looking forward to sharing this struggle and learning from others who have won the battle!
0 Kudos
dawn9

I never felt like I could quit a set date, I too would start smoking more then when that day got here it was even harder. I get tired of coughing, and my mouth being dry. My tounge feels gross, and I have a lot of mucus. My breath stinks, and my clothes smell. I smell like an ashtray and it's not healthy for the kid. I smoke outside and for a long time that was my way of making myself feel better, but I still bring it in on my clothes. I'm too the point now where I'm embarrased to smoke out in public, I hide. We before when I did it, I went the wholeeee day without smoking. Was not easy, just kept my mind on other things. Good luck everyone, and Leslie good luck tomorrow, you can do it. 🙂
0 Kudos
dawn9

I understand, cold turkey is hard, HOWEVER the patches are still putting nicotine in your body... It just weins you from it. Once you get the nicotine out of your system going cold turkey which is around a week I think, it's just a mind thing from there not a physcial need. Either way, you have to do what you feel is right for YOU. Good luck.
0 Kudos
leslie9

Thanks Dawn,

I feel exactly the same way... I had my last cigarette at 8:45 last night...I would have already had 2 today and I thought about lighting up but I thought if I cop out now, nothing will be any different than all the other times I have tried and I would feel like a failure. But today so far so good...
0 Kudos
kim61

HI it is nice to hear that we are not alone in this battle and in the long run we will be doing the best thing for us and our family. Please let me know how you are doing my quit date is tomorrow (April 12) since its a Saturday and I wont have to deal with the pressure of working and being tempted to smoke with my boss. But I am sure I will be on here typing a lot over the next couple of days. Give a hollar if you want.
0 Kudos
doris2

Well it is day six for me, and I am hanging in there, not liking the gum or patches, I am thinking of calling my Dr and having him supscribe the chantix for me. But I still haven't smoked for six days and feeling different, fight is hard, but determined. So good luck to you Kim, and keep intouch this site really does help!
0 Kudos