cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kamissa

Anyone using nicotine vape products?

anyone on here trying to quit using nicotine vape products?

Tags (1)
25 Replies

I hated vaping.  I coughed up so much stuff using the e-cig.  there's so many additives in the juice.  I'd save yourself some money and cut up some straws the length of a cigarette or use toothpicks

freeneasy

Other forms of nicotine replacement are better like gum and the patch and are designed to help you quit smoking and approved by the FDA.

elvan

I think the jury is still out on this one.  I just do not know, I AM very concerned about juuling and getting young people addicted to nicotine.

0 Kudos
karenjones

no the jury is not out. vaping causes lung damage. 

0 Kudos
karenjones

No. No. No.  My brother just had 2 vertebrae removed, 4 ribs removed and 1/2 of his lung. It is called an en bloc treatment for lung cancer.  He was a vaper.  Now in hospital, he is on nrt patches.

elvan

OMG karenjones‌ this should be a blog in and of itself..vaping scares me because of some of the things I have heard..."popcorn lung"...the devices exploding...the KIDS getting addicted to nicotine and using that device called a Juul to actually get nicotine hits while they are in CLASS!  

I hope that your brother recovers...as someone who has two broken ribs and degenerative disc disease...I can only imagine the pain he must be in right now.  I also had half of BOTH of my lungs removed...for emphysema, not cancer, at least not yet.

Thanks for sharing this but PLEASE put it out there so more people see it...the last response to this blog was a month ago.

Ellen

indingrl

I am so sorry karenjones - prayers lifted - gentle hug❤

0 Kudos
johnnyRingo5

Prior to quitting smoking for good, I made three attempts to quit by switching over to vaping.  I initially thought it was great because it didn't give you that nasty cigarette smell.  I soon started to suspect that I may have been consuming more nicotine this way than by smoking.  It lured me into a false sense of security and I think I was vaping more than when I smoked.  I started getting headaches and feeling pretty bad, even worse than when I was smoking.  It scared me quite a bit and I stopped vaping then.

Based on my personal experience, I would highly advise against trying to quit smoking by vaping.  If you want to quit via nicotine replacement therapy, it would be best to use a method approved by doctors.

intervention

In the addiction treatment world vaping is considered an evidence-based tool for smoking cessation, and there is research to back this up. It is not safe, just 99 times safer than smoking. While total abstinence is clearly the best way it is not the only way, and harm reduction through vaping is saving millions of lives.  Why not "live and let live" and "whatever works"?

BTW, vaping does not meet the American Society for Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria for addiction. 

0 Kudos

I'm in agreement with you as far as live and let live. People can do whatever they want.

The statistics I really want to see is how many people who claim to have quit smoking with them are ever able to stop vaping.

The following is from the owner of a vaping supplies website.

(I'm not putting up the link because is a product sales site banned as such on this site but anyone who wants the name of the site can pm me.)

Risks

Risks with Vaping

My advice? Don't vape. I'm serious.

Yes, I make my living selling vape gear but if you can quit without vaping.. do it. If you need support I'll even talk with you via email.  You have an urge to inhale something and need someone to give you encouragement to stay inhale free? I'm your man, hit me up on the contact page and let me know you want to go cold turkey!  But if you really want to vape then know the potential risks.

Speaking of risks.. it seems like everything we do these days have risks.

Guess what? Vaping is no exception. If you think vaping is safe you are wrong, it is not. The only thing safe is clean fresh air going into your lungs, vaping involves "safe" chemicals like PG and VG and nicotine (yes, nicotine is considered "safe") However, our bodies and especially our lungs are NOT naturally made to handle the amounts of these chemicals entering our airways. VG is a thick filmy substance when you let it settle onto a surface.smoking.jpg

Blow some exhaled vapor onto a cleaned smooth surface a few times, then take a clean oil free finger and wipe along where you exhaled the vapor.

See the result? Yep, that's in your lungs.

There is a new 2015 study that finds non nicotine vaping can damage lungs located here.  I am no scientist and I am also not an alarmist. This report was not a direct study on living, vaping humans but it does show an effect.

I tend to take "studies" with a grain of salt as they are often done with an agenda or backed by certain biased sources. However, what I am saying is that there is no way that vaping is "safe". There are reports coming out every week with something new and "bad" for vaping in general.

Do your due dilligence, read up on vaping, visit forums, look for studies, and more importantly.. ask your doctor, do not rely on me, this website or anyone else selling you stuff.

I am not simply trying to scare you, I want you to be informed and aware, you should never be under the impression that vaping is a safe alternative to smoking, it is not. The only thing healthy for your lungs and health is clean fresh air. Anything else is going to be at least somewhat unhealthy.

It may be safer when compared to cigarettes but it's also safer to fly in a plane than ride in a car and both can result in an unpleasant demise.  The point is, we do not know for sure, there are not enough full studies on it and this is why we vendors are not allowed to claim it is a safe alternative and I agree 100% it is NOT.

If you have made the decision to vape, know the facts as much as you can, you are letting chemicals not ordinarily found in your lungs to exist, by that very acknowledgement you understand that it is not "safe".

When you purchase something from DiscountVapers or any vendor you must do so with this in mind.
But I can promise you one thing, I will never knowingly sell you something I know specifically to be directly harmful.

These risks are not just about the eliquid either. All vendors buy from China, we all know the track record they have. We sell what they produce and sell it with the knowledge of only what they tell us.

Do we know if the plastics they are using are safe?
Do we know the silica wicks do not contain fibers?
Do we know the machine oils have been cleaned off?
Do we know they are not purposefully putting in harmful materials?

No. We do not, not 100% anyway.

What I am telling you is this... Vaping is a risk, a risk you must go into with your eyes open. Smoking kills for sure, we know that, we do not know what vaping does. Please keep this in mind.

If you are unsure, do not vape.