cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

albert

Anyone tried Chantix?

I am trying to quit - again... I have thought about trying Chantix, but I am a bit nervous about the side effects - as described here for instance: quit smoking pill. That just scares me a lot - does anyone have any experience with Chantix? Is it safe?
0 Kudos
18 Replies
jennifer5

I tried it and came down with serious depression and had to get off of it. I know many people this has happened to. I would suggest the Chantix site, but also patches and gum. I don't think they have any side effects because I used them a couple times myself and the patch really helped with my cravings. If your scared talk to your doctor. He can give you all the side effects of the medication.
0 Kudos
donna45

Albert, I tried Chantix about a year ago and for me, I experienced not one side effect that I have heard about today. It worked for me. It really did. The thing is, within 3-4 weeks, I truly never even thought of smoking...I was so confident, that I stopped taking the pills. BIG MISTAKE! I began desiring cigarettes again within a week of stopping the pill. Of course it didn't help when my husband continued smoking and I was around it all the time. So here I go again...getting ready for my quit date of Dec 29th! I have my prescription and have already visited the website for chantix and I feel confident that no matter what, I plan on finishing the entire prescription (12-weeks) and this time, my husband is quitting with me. I have also armed myself with tons of information from Whyquit.com and this site. I have heard about the side effects but honestly, I never had a problem with it at all. Hope this helps. Goodluck to ya!
0 Kudos
valerie

Dear Albert You are affraid of Chantix? Have you thought about what is happening when youre smoking? The side effects I mean. Anything you use to quit smoking still takes will power. You will always want the pleasure you recieve from smoking, nothing else replaces it. Until you understand this and can deal with this you will always have an excuse to keep smoking. Chantix will help you get over the worst part. I'm affraid there is nothing that will keep you from smoking altogether but your self. This site is a big help too. I don't and won't sugar coat it. I am smoke free for 67 days, used chantix to help. The rest is will power. Good luck to you.
0 Kudos
tasha3

I used it for for a little over two weeks and I found myself crying all the time and extremely sad. If you have a history of depression, it brings it out! If you have never had an issue with depression, it's a miracle drug. My friend quit using it, had some pretty bad nightmares but other than that - she smoked for over 15 years and was able to quit following the program. Good luck in whatever you decide to use!! I'm using the gum and I'm finding that for me - it's working wonderfully!!!!
0 Kudos
laura30

I, too tried Chantix and had extreme mood swings from depression to anger. I did stop smoking but could not stay on the medication because of the side effects. My husband and I have been together for 12 years and he said he had never seen me like that. I quit 3 days ago and am using the patch; I was able to quit for a year using this method before. Unfortunately, I thought I was strong enough to have A cigarette at a cocktail party....I began smoking again. A co-worker recommended this site to me - he said the support from this site was the key to his becoming an EX.

On the otherhand, I have two friends who were heavy smokers who used Chantix with great success and have both been smoke free for over a year. You should talk to your doctor - it may work for you! Good luck!!!
0 Kudos
albert

Everyone, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think I will give it a try. I've been reading a lot about Chantix and also talked with my doctor and I am now aware of what side effects I might experience. Again, thanks to your all.
0 Kudos
linda49

A friend told me that her nephew took Chantix and ended up in a mental hospital from the side effects. She told me not to use it. They are now seeking legal assistance for the medical bills this has caused.
0 Kudos
nancy-bond

I'm using Champix (Canada/Chantix in US) and have been smoke-free for exactly one week. Both my husband and I have had wonderful success with this med. I smoked for over 35 years, my hubby for over 30, and we'd tried every other smoking cessation product you can think of, including hospital clinics, etc. Champix is like a miracle for us. Neither of us have any cravings and the few times we do think of smoking, well, they pass quickly and easily.

The only unpleasant side effect that I've encountered is sudden vomiting on two occasions when I first stepped up to full dose. That was easily remedied by making sure we've eaten a substantial breakfast BEFORE taking the med. (I had taken the other with juice only.) Other than that, neither of us have had any unpleasant side effects at all. I'm really confident that we've got it licked this time, and I know for certain we would never have been able to do it without the Champix. I can't say enough good things about it. Just my two cents worth. Good luck to you! 🙂
0 Kudos
claudia2

I have quit smoking using Chantix and the only side effect that I had was very vivid dreams.

One thing that people do not do is read the label of drugs that they begin to take or talk fully with their doctor about it.
I am going back to what Linda said 1 day ago about a friend of hers who's nephew took it and ended up in a mental hospital. If you have depression, chantix will increase that depression, it is on the label.

I am sorry to get off on this tangent but to many people want to go out and sue the pharmaceutical companies because they either were not well informed, did not read the patient label, did both and still took the medicine.
The pharmaceutical companies put more then 25 years of research into each drug before it is ever released on the market. Even before then it have to go through so many fases before the FDA will let it be put out on the market. Those fases are trial periods and studies. Some drugs are so great that they want to be what is called "FAST TRACKED" Chantix happened to be one of them, but it still went through all its phases.

The reason that I am going into this is because one person might not have read the label and had a bad experience and we find so many people today that want to "SUE". Pfizer the maker of Chantix has had to have major layoffs because that is what happened to one of their other drugs Bextra. It helled millions of people, but 2 people died of a heart attack and it was pulled from the market. That was 25 years of research put into a drug. I took it and it did wonders for me. I haven't found one that has helped as much as it did. But when these companies get "SUED", then what happens. They have to let go of employees..................get the picture..................the economy.

I guess what I am saying in response to Linda is that everyone should discuss with their doctor before they start to take anything new, and always read the label. If their is something there that concerns you, don't take the drug.
0 Kudos