cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

albert

Anyone tried Chantix?

I am trying to quit - again... I have thought about trying Chantix, but I am a bit nervous about the side effects - as described here for instance: quit smoking pill. That just scares me a lot - does anyone have any experience with Chantix? Is it safe?
0 Kudos
18 Replies

Hello:

I ahve used CHantix in the past without any side effexts but nausea. WHat I did was to reduce the amount they reccomond for a dose and the nausea was gone. Like taking 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill at night. I think it is a really effective tool for smoking cessation because cigaretes never taste the same. Youi can smoke with CHantix but you get no benefits from the smoking. MY son is using it now and said it really helps him with the cravings as well.
0 Kudos
david-fry

The chance that a smoker will die from a cigarette started fire are far higher than the chances are that a chantix user will die as a result of the chantix use. Grand total there are 400,000+ smoking related deaths (mainly lung cancer) each year. A one pack a day smoker is going to spend about $80,000 on cigarettes during their lifetime. etc etc. If you really want to stop smoking, like I did, but can't do it any other way, go talk to your doctor about taking Chantix. I tried cold turkey, gradual cut down then quit, the patch, hypnotism, nicotine anonymous, etc. etc. None of those worked. My doctor refused to prescribe Zyban when I asked for that, but was very supportive when I asked for Chantix. He warned me of the possible side effects but he also told me that many of the reported side effects were probably due to nicotine withdrawal, not Chantix use. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR PLEASE!!!!
0 Kudos
simon

There are a lot of problems associated with smoking which people face like problem with respiratory system, heart and many more. Chantix helps you to get over this smoking habit and before you can make up your mind about using it, you can check the information related on http://www.chantixhome.com/ It works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. Along with having chantix one should have the urge to get over this habit. Best luck to all those who want to give it up.
0 Kudos

I've been taken Chantix for 12 days now. I found that if I eat something right before or during the motion of taking my pill, I have no issues with nausea. I do however have extremely vivid dreams and wake up several times during the night. I also had a day or so of Gas. Other than that I feel fantastic. I have NO urge to smoke, don't think about smoking, couldn't care less if I ever see another cigarette again and I did smoke for 23 years about a pack a day. 🙂
0 Kudos
sherry

I am using Chantix and tomorrow I will be an ex-smoker for one week. I have tried to quit before but Chantix seems to help and my only problem is sleeplessness but I would have that as a withdrawl regardless.
0 Kudos
salena

I tried Chatix and really wished it would have worked, but it did not. I started taking it and within 4 days I was hallucinating. Halos around lights, warped roads, weird colors in the sky and just an all around pending doom that I was fixing to flashback to when I was a teen doing LSD. I figured...been there, done that...don't want to do that again! I was so scared that stopped immediately and within a day, all of the side effects went away. I could not ever imagine taking this drug for two months. My husband would have had to commit me to the loony bin by the end of it.

I do have friends that Chantix has worked very well for and some that have had mild side effects such as sleeplessness and weird/vivid dreams. One of my friends was a 2 pack a day smoker and has been smoke free for 2 years. So I believe that this drug is very beneficial for most people. However, if you are already sensitive to pharmaceuticals (like me), proceed with caution. Just know that it is worth the attempt, because smoking will most likely kill you!
0 Kudos
kerry9

Thank You Phil. As to your question YES I tried Chantix last year ....oh I quit alright for about a month but you know how they say it can make you suicidal?? Well... it made me homicidal LOL I was terrible screaming yelling and crying all the time!!!! as soon as I quit taking it I calmed right down. Now I know everyone is different but I would never do that again........love my friendly little patch!!!
Kerry
0 Kudos
nancy

I'm srry if this question doesn't belong here but it is about Chantix.
How do I get rid of this gas and the gas pain? Also the constipation. Everything usually happens at night time when I should be in bed and when I should be sleeping ....

Thanks for advice........

Oh and Albert, Chantix is working for me also..... The only way you will know if it will work for you is to speak to your doctor and try it.......Good luck !
0 Kudos
oompaloompa

I'm on it now, haven't smoked in 5 days.. don't really want to. I do have about one 'bad' craving per day but they don't last as long as if I was doing cold turkey. I quit cold turkey last year for about 4 months and this time it is quite a bit easier.
0 Kudos