cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dani_2017

Anyone looking for a quit smoking buddy?

Hi All, 

My name is Danielle and I'm on my third day smoke free. Last cigarette was on 7/26/17. I smoked for 5 years. Today has definitely been the hardest so far. I think this would be a little easier if I had someone to quit with me/ go through the process with me. Anyone interested? 

Thanks for reading! 

Tags (1)
102 Replies
elvan

Those are HUGE trigger times particularly in the beginning.  It does get better, every time you get through a crave, you get stronger.  Have you read YoungAtHeart‌'s /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke I would highly recommend reading JonesCarpeDiem‌'s My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) and /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months   There are many others...we are all here to help you.

0 Kudos
Dani_2017

I know exactly what you're feeling. Day 3 was horrible for me. It was the worst by far. 

I think that the best thing you can do for yourself is try to get as much sleep as possible today, drink iced water, and just try to relax. Go to sleep earlier than you normally would. You will definitely feel better tomorrow when the last of the nicotine is out of your system. Right now it's leaving your body and your nicotine receptors are upset about that.

Just keep telling yourself that it will pass and it will be better tomorrow morning. You can do this! 

0 Kudos
afriedh1

Thanks. I think in addition to the nicotine, smoking is just so much associated with certain things in my day; before work, on the way home & after dinner. Don't know what to do with myself at those times. Just want a cig so bad at those moments.

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
elvan

That's the psychological part of the addiction and you need to form new associations with those things.  I did not think it was going to be possible to talk on the phone or drive the car without smoking but it IS and I found out that I can THINK without smoking, imagine that! It takes time but it DOES get better...

0 Kudos
Dani_2017

You'll have to start making new habits for yourself during that time instead. I know what you mean, my entire day used to be structured around when I could take a smoke break at the office. Now I take breaks but go for a (non smoking) walk instead. See what I mean? You just have to restructure and distract yourself from the craving until it passes. And in doing that, you form new habits to pass the time. Did you go cold turkey or are you using NRT? 

0 Kudos
afriedh1

I'm using a patch. I never smoke at work so my cig on the way home was like a decompression at the end of the day. I looked forward to it a lot!!!

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
afriedh1

Sadly I just really like smoking

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
elvan

It will pass...get a water bottle with a straw in it and drink cold water through the straw, take deep breaths to decompress, suck on sour candy, bite into a lemon, rind and all...change your thinking.  It will pass but there is no way to speed it up and the only way out is through.  You need to be willing to go through some discomfort...there is no way around it.  I love the saying OldBones-Larry‌ uses..."One step and then another will get you to where you want to be."  I also love "I don't do that any more" which I think came from JonesCarpeDiem‌, along with "Keep them away from your face."  My absolute favorite and first go to was always NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  It was easy to say and easy to remember and I could not believe that I had never heard it before.  I really wish that there was an easy way...I wish there was an exact time that I could give you for when you will feel stronger/better.  It just takes time and when you go to bed tonight you can have another day WON!  That's awesome and they DO add up.  Hang in there...we all want to help you.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
afriedh1

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos

Have you heard that every smoker is convinced they love smoking?  If I hated smoking, I wouldn't have done it for 40 years.

0 Kudos