cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jimbarnetts

Am I Alone? 23yrs smokin 3 packs a day, as long as I can remember.

Hello,

Today is my quit day and all the support pages I have went over were of people that can't relate to me, am I the only one who took smoking to the next level, (bad as that may be)? I need to know that someone out there is going, or has gone through the same thing as me. It would be not only helpful and incouraging but also extremely appreciated. I have waves of needing a cig. come over me but I keep thinking if I even have one all the time put in so far will have been for nothing. I look forward to your response and thank you in advance for your support. Have a Great day!!!

Best Wishes,

Jim

0 Kudos
6 Replies

My husband is in the same boat.  He is 60 years old and has been a heavy smoker practically his entire life.  Last year he had gastric bypass surgery and had to quit smoking in order to have the surgery.  He quit and stayed a non-smoker for about 9 months.  Then something happened, he can't really pin point it, but something made him pick up a cigarette thinking he could just have one or two and then be a non-smoker again.  Wrong.  I too am a smoker and when he quit I quit smoking around him.  I didn't smoke at home, in the car, nowhere he was.  But that didn't work.  He knew I was still smoking and that was very hard for him.  Now he's been to the doctor and was told if he doesn't quit, the little nodules on his lungs could turn cancerous.  Needless to say that is pretty scary so we are both on a serious path to quitting.  For good.  We can do it, we've done it before but it's going to be very hard.  Very, very hard.  We are preparing as best we can but could use all the good thoughts and prayers that can be mustered up.

Thanks in advance for all the support we hope to give and get with this program.

-Cindi & Tom

0 Kudos
sunny_sandyd

well you know i quit once for almost 4 years. it was stupid starting again but i did. i figure if i did it once i can do it again. and i believe ya'll can quit too. today is the first day i've been on the forum, and i think i'll be back.  maybe this will give me the little shove i nee. best wishes to you all.

0 Kudos
bonnibeans

a lil faith in each other 

mr jim my name is bonnie i do not smoke that much i smoke aprox.1 to2 packs a day and i am going through a bad year my boyfriend had a stroke in october of this year and he also just lost his mother also this year and to top it all off we just found out that he may have liver and lung cancer now this was 1 week before his stroke ,and he has been smoking at least 3 to 4 packs aday for about well let me say this sence he was about 9 or 10 years old and he is now 47 and has what you would call global aphasia we need some thing to help us to quit and he cannot take any kind of meds to help so and he has cut his self down to 2.5 packs every 4 days so i dont know but i think he does and we all can do it with a lil fath good luck to all of us!!!!!

0 Kudos
k-tague

I was two packs a day for forty years.  Every time I tried to quit I could not make it more than a few hours.  A year ago I bought an e-cig and gave that a try.  11 months and 11 days later I am smoke free.  I still keep the fake one just in case but have not touched it for over 10 months (still my security blanket).  Last night was the first time in a heavy smoke environment and had to leave early and did want a cig at one time but a piece of gum cured the urge.  My wife quit due to health reasons 6 years earlier and do not know how she put up with me for those six years.  I would not have been able to do that.

0 Kudos
jonna

I was a heavy smoker. On one occassion I smoked 4 packs in one day. I am on day three and I know how hard this is for you. My bf is a weekend smoker and he is like, I'm on my third day too, what's the big deal. There is a huge difference. The only things I do that aren't a trigger is sit at my desk at work and sleep. Everything else is associated with a cig.

I put the patch on and broke a pencil to the same length as a cig. I carry it everywhere, it helps. You can do it!

0 Kudos
mdollberg

Jonna

This is my second day smoke free, with the help of the patch. I had smoked for 35 years and was afraid to quit, I did not want to fail again, after multiple attempts of quitting. I get a craving about every 3-4 hrs. I look at the clock wait 10 minutes.Usually I will have found something else to busy my hands and mind by the time the minutes are up. If I can do this, you can do!!!! Keep at it - I am!

0 Kudos