cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mroseforte

Almost 30 days and still fighting depression

I’m just reaching out because I’m tired of the depression I’ve made it almost 30 days and I don’t know how much longer I can hang with this horrific depression ??

Sometimes I think I need to just stop whining and get over it but it’s so strong depression is very tough it messes with your mind 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

A LOT of us self-medicated for depression with smoking.  Before giving in and lighting up, please talk to your doctor.....there are drugs that can help.

Nancy

maryfreecig

What brought you to quit 30 days ago? Were you depressed before you quit? Do you mean disappointed in how you feel after quitting or do you mean depression has been a part of your life? 

I felt raw, angry, distressed and anxious when I quit. I wondered in the wilderness for awhile but it turns out my decision to quit was exactly right. No matter how I felt, I had to work through it. It's not that you are whining, but it may be a matter of what to do instead of smoke. Can you do some homework as to what you might do when you feel in a bind about staying off the butts?  Smobriety takes adjustment after adjustment at first. This can be draining. 

You kept yourself cigarette free for 30 days. You did it. High five and a hug. Keep looking for solutions to your pain or discomfort---yes you can, one day at a time.

Kitsune13

You are an amazing person - you've done one of the best and one of the kindest things for yourself by quitting. Maybe you should see a doctor - that depression can come on for simple dietary reasons as well as more complicated issues, but if you take control of it and start by process of elimination, you might find it was something relatively simple. And if it isn't, at least you can find out what your options are for dealing with it. Good luck M!

Mroseforte

What  dietary issues do you think it might be ?

0 Kudos
elvan

I am really glad that you came here and posted...I do think you might want to see a doctor and ask about an antidepressant but before you do that I have to ask you if you have added exercising to your routine?  You can make that brisk walking or biking or working out at home.  My favorite, particularly at this time of year is working out in a pool.  When you exercise, your body releases dopamine and that's exactly what you are looking for.  The difference is that the dopamine released when you exercise does not put you at risk of lung cancer or COPD.  Smoking offers NOTHING...don't allow yourself to be talked into thinking that it does.  All that it offers are lies, lies, and MORE lies.  You CAN do this.  At almost 30 days, you are about to enter No Man's Land...that represents a period of time when people who never smoked think you should be "over it" and people who smoke are tired of your struggle.  This is a blog that was written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ describing  what NML is...https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Please continue to reach out...continue to ask for help.

Hugs,

Ellen

Bree19

Mroseforte

As one  who has lived with chronic clinical depression for many years, I have to tell you that I am fully functional (mostly) and have taught myself many behaviour modifications.  I have to see the psychiatrist twice a year so that he can reduce or adjust  my medication as needed and we are both determined to reduce my medication to an absolute minimum while still keeping me out of bed and  busy and even happy at times.

I  encourage you to speak to your doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist or a counselor.  . 

Not all of them only prescribe antidepressants.  The good ones also listen and advise and teach you to modify some behaviours.

However, while you decide what the right course of action will be for you, Congratulations on reaching a full month smoke free!!  WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT.  Please persevere but also admit that you might need some outside assistance to get through the depression.

Blessings

Bree

mama3953

I am so sorry your are going through a turbulent time.....but my goodness how proud I am of you for being 30 days smokefree!  I cant wait to tell you that one day!  Please stay strong!

Be at peace. Lynn

Kimshine

I was very depressed with my quit. I cried a ton but I stayed the course. I think I'm a tortured soul anyway. I know many quitters are happy but I wasn't. You feel how you feel and there are many things you can do to feel better but sometimes, you just don't. It took me around 80 ish days until I felt a bunch better in my quit. Please carry on! I don't know your circumstances without the addition of saving your life by not smoking but maybe you were down before quitting? It might be a good idea to get advice from your doc, It won't hurt for sure. Please stay the course anyway because you are so far ahead of the game by doing so. I will be praying that you get past this hump!

Barbara145

Congratulations for quitting smoking.  I suspect you medicated your depression with cigarettes.  I did.  Want to know what?  I was not on meds for depression then and it is no longer an issue for me.  There is no doubt that my depression was caused by smoking.  It takes a while but your thinking will become much clearer after quitting.  It just gets better and better.  Stick with it.  It makes life and emotions so much better.  You are doing this.