cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tricia-oehme

Advice anyone???

I want to quit smoking so bad...but everytime I go to set a quit date I second guess myself and think, " Do I really want to do this?" Yes I really do want to do it, it causes me so many problems. I feel like I am having an anxiety attack when I think about quitting, but I want to quit so bad. I have 7 packs left out of a carton. I started with two cartons and shorty after I bought them I got sick and decided I wanted to quit. That was 3 weeks ago, and now I am only left with the 7 packs before I completely runout. I know what I am like without a cigerette when I "need" one. I get short tempered and frustrated. Is there anyone who can give me advice as to what I should do if I start feeling like this? Is there a way to curb the anxiety that is going to come along with it? My boyfriend is a smoker and I know that I am going to have to deal with that as well. I am seriously wanting to quit but am thinking that my mind isn't as strong as the urge to smoke?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
tricia-oehme

thank you chic..it really gives me encouragement to know that i am not the only one who gets anxiety about quitting...i freak when i think about it. it is definitly a big life change...thanks for the luck i will need it:)
0 Kudos
edith2

Smoking is an addiction that tells us we don't have one. This addiction will con us any way it can. Once you make it to the point of no longer having cravings, there is no going back. I promise you, it feels great. All of a sudden you have this new freedom and smoking no longer controls your life. You can go through your day and not feel anxious, figity, or wanting to scream. It's the addiction that puts doubts in our heads about quitting. So my suggestion is to be aware of that, stay motivated, determined and get through the tough part no matter what comes your way. Life still happens when you quit. There is no good reason to light up. None. Stress, disappointment, sorrow, etc. is not a reason to smoke. The addiction tells you it is. If you quit throwing up excuses, you can quit. If you give away or throw away the cigarettes, you can quit. If you stand up to your significant other and tell them not to smoke around you, you can quit. If you can tell yourself that the nasty cravings won't last forever, you can quit. If you feel like the Tazmanian devil at the beginning of your quit and people can't stand to be around you, so what??? Tell me one good thing about smoking, and I'll give up my 4 1/2 years of being a non-smoker and help you finish off those 7 packs.
0 Kudos