cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katinthehat

About to Cheat. Trying not to.

Went to shoot pool with my ex and her new guy. Mistake. Want a cig like crazy. So far, I'm resisting. Any tips for when I inevitably wind up in a simmular situation?
0 Kudos
6 Replies

I compare it to the little angel and little devil on your shoulders. Just tell the little devil guy to shut up.

Wait, that is a tuff situation. If it is that stressful as to cause you to want to harm your self (by smoking) why would you want to be around them? There may be a choice to be made here.
0 Kudos
cindy25

I am not sure how long you have been quit, but it is important to protect your quit for many weeks. Being "extra" careful not to put yourself into situations that might trigger you. I was able to be in more "risky" situations after one month smoke free.
0 Kudos
connie2

Be careful about putting yourself in situations that might tempt you to smoke. I don't know how long it's been since you've quit but if it's longer than me, YOUR DOING GREAT!!! LOL!!
0 Kudos
zen-blondism

Don't do it!!!!
Ultimately you know you don't want to or you wouldn't be here asking for support. I know it sounds corny but you can hit this from two directions. First write down every horrible thought, emotion, etc. no matter how insane and then say out loud all of the reasons you had for wanting to quit. It might be really hard to even access those positve files until after you've gotten the garbage out on paper. It helps even more if you tear that peice of paper into shreds while you are reminding yourself of why you made the decision to get off a dead end train in the first place.
We are here for you.
Don't give up!!!!
0 Kudos
sherri10

For especially strong craves, I used to 'smoke' a straw. I swear by it! Just close your eyes and imagine you are actually smoking a cigarette.
0 Kudos
katinthehat

Thank you to all of you for your support. I didn't quit (It was day 4 and now I get to say taht this is day 5). Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!!!!
0 Kudos