cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

samantha67

A newbie to this site, but not a newbie in attempting to quit! Hoping for success this time!!

I joined this site yesterday and have set my quit date for mid November (15th to be exact) I'm currently doing the preparation and will take any advice that any of you may have that have successfully acheived "non-smoker" status! Thanks in advance!

~Sam

0 Kudos
15 Replies
michael-r.

Hello Sam ~

I just joined this morning, but have not set a date yet. I have quit before and found the hardest times were when life was tough, throwing things at me more then usual. I eventually picked back up (which I really regret).

I wish you all the best and keep in touch with the community, I know that support really helps out tremendously.

Michael R.

0 Kudos

Welcome, Sam! Please introduce yourself in the BLOGS where the Community at Large hangs out! We can help you quit for LIFE!
0 Kudos
doneal

I'm a newbie to this site, I've quit before and used a web site to help. I cant remember the web site name but I did find it very helpful! It was like a chat room where people loged on and could talk to others on a real time forum. It also had other items you could read, all kind of free, good links. I contribute my last sucessful quit to the web site. my relapse was my own faught. I'm hoping this site is just as helpful.

0 Kudos
ajalder20t

Good good good luck Sam. I don't care how cheesy this sounds but I need to tell you this, I SUPPORT YOU. Imagine me with you ANY time you need a pat on the shoulder, a congratulations for making it another hour without smoking, a GIANT hurrah!!! when you beat another craving and i MEAN EVERY time.

When i came on here the first time I had tried to quit ten or so times in the last couple years, and honestly I set three different quit dates before I finally succeeded. And I had to do it a little differently than the plan, ..... feel free to read my blogs, but even though I found a different method for myself, I am eternally grateful to EVERYONE on this site who lent me their ears, shared their experiences, and were there for me.

I went to www.whyquit.com    I got really pissed and upset with myself, and I quit. and WHEN i have cravings, i laugh at myself, i tell those nicotine craving parts of my brain they ARE NOT going to win this time, no one-puff, no just-this-once, NO.

Good luck, and if what you need is someone to yell at you and tell you no, I AM THERE. If you need a hug and a you-CAN-make-it-through-this-craving, I am there. If you need the strong silent type, keeping you away from those people and places that trigger your stress and smoking, I am there.......and so is EVERYONE else on this site.

If you need support, these folks and ready and waiting.

GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN BE FREE OF CIGARETTES, AND NICOTINE, AND TOBACCO OF ALL SORTS.

0 Kudos
samantha67

Hi there, and thank you soo much for the incredibly kind and encouraging words... how wonderful that is! Not at ALL cheesy either!  I am already convinced that this site is going to be such a tremendous help in the process. I am currently reading the book by Carr..just started the day I joined this site... I am also a student and employee, so my time is not exactly on my side with the reading part. My intention is to get through that book before my quit date, as it suggests. I am so very grateful for all of the inspiring and encouraging words here...you have no idea. Thank you, and I look forward to being in touch!

0 Kudos
kaynow

Hi Sam, and welcome!

I'm new here too. I've been able to quit bunches of times, as crazy at it seams. (It really is crazy that people go back after being free from cigarettes, but they do... like I did... over and over)  : /

I fell at certain parts of my journey, and returned to the slavery of carettes. I want to get free again, and this time stay free! Controling my weight gain I think will be the toughest part for me.

I haven't had a cigarette since Tuesday!   : )     To success!!!    For both of us, as well of dozens of other quitters just like us!

Allan Carr's book helped a lot! I quit about the third chapter from the end. (After a few days of tracking my cigarettes).

I know quitting is doable! I remember the freedom from the nicotine monster, and being so greatful that I wasn't bound by those chains anymore!

Again, welcome!

0 Kudos
owlfeather

Please all of you, come over to the blogs, that is where ALL OF US hang out.  Click on blogs right above your pic on your page, or even the main page.  No one comes here, except New People, and that is a common mistake, so PLEASE come over to the Blogs and introduce yourselves over there.  Come join us!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
katlinmay

I am smoking 10 years and 4 times quitting. Cigs is a bad part of my life. I can't stop? but have a strong desire. Hope to find a support here )

http://quit.azati.com/DN4JB5AC

0 Kudos
peggy.hunt53

I NEED TO QUIT BECAUSE IN A MONTH I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY ON MY NECK AND I NEED TO BE SMOKE FREE BEFORE AND AFTER THE SURGERY,AND I WANT TO QUIT SO THAT I CAN BE AROUND FOR MY GREAT  NEICES WEDDING AND SHE IS ONLY 6 YEARS OLDAND QUIT SO THAT I WILL BE IN BETTER HEALTH

0 Kudos