cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jordan4

9 days and relapse

First of all I want to appoligise to everyone for disapearing for the last week or so. My girlfriend Hailey fley all the way from California to come see me. Actually she was vacationing in Maui with her sisters and left a week early to come out and see me while I was off for those 2 weeks. So I was very preoccupied an was having nearly NOTHING for urges to smoke. I was doing great.

Well, on Monday I had to take her back to the airport. Goodbyes with her have simply gotten harder and harder since being together and making that nearly 2 hour drive bck from the airport is the loneliest thing Ive ever had to do. So Im already just feeling completly shitty but theres NO urge to smoke. Thats the last thing I was thinking about. But before I got back home I had to pick up a buddy of mine at a different airport. So I pick him up and its still another half hour to the house. Now ALL my buddies have been gone through my entire quit thus far so they dont know about it yet. So he grabs his cigs and asks if I want one(he knows Im just hating life at the moment) and I would normally take one. So not even thinking about it I said yea and hit lit them both up and handed me one. I started smokin with him while he told stories about how his 2 weeks at home was and all of a sudden it hits me. I remember that I dont smoke anymore. I start laughing and toss it out the window and hes like "What?" And I tell him that I quit and that it had been 9 days since my last one.

I never had the URGE to smoke it. I never NEEDED to smoke it. But I was just so fixated on saying goodbye to Hailey that I forgot that I had quit. The good news is that I really havent felt any 'extra' cravings or anything so I dont think that its been too 'hurtful'. But I DO think that its only fair to set my clock back to 0:00, call that a failed quit and start over. So I am now on day 2 of my second quit.

Thank you to everyone for your support and Im not too worried about this anymore. I think Im going to walk all over this addiction with no more stopages.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
manofsteele

hope u r having a super some free day !
0 Kudos
polly2

Way to go Jordan! What a great attitude. Most people simply resign to the fact that they have smoked and continue to do so. By pitching that nasty ol' thing out the window, you showed yourself that you are serious about your commitment! It tasted like crap too, didn't it? It was good for others to see your post as well!! keep that positive attitude going and you will come out as nicotine's worse enemy!! Way to turn a bad situation into a good one!!
0 Kudos
happy2read

Congrats for tossing the cig out the window. Leaving your girlfriend at the airport was hard but you made it 1 1/2 hours before lighting up and even at that it was more of a reflex action than a desire to smoke. Great Job!!!!! I guess you just have to focus on those situational things.
0 Kudos
mary41

My mom had stopped for years - at least three. She was visiting us. I had lit a cigarette and walked away from it sitting in the ashtray near her. Without thinking she picked it up and puffed, then realized what she had done and set it aside shocked. She was still quit three years. I wouldn't restart your clock.
0 Kudos
lynn5

Hi Jordan. It doesn't sound like a life-threatening relapse. You laughed & threw it out. It sounds like you are really a successful quitter & if you want to set your counter back you can - but I think you should give yourself credit for the days you didn't smoke. It was a fluke that you did. I've had dreams like that since my own quit. I will be smoking in the dream and think hey what am I doing?!! I quit!!! Good luck to your re-start!
0 Kudos