cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jono28

6 Days In Feeling Weak

Day 6 and have been using patch and supplementing with nicotine gum until about 10 minutes ago.

The thought of these withdrawal symptoms continuing for weeks as I step down nicotine just guarantees I will fail.

Going off of NRT is a risk, but at least I know nicotine will be out of my system in 3 days, and honestly, anxiety and withdrawal couldn't possibly be any worse.

Was hoping day 6 would feel like an accomplishment but knowing I could have eliminated nicotine from my system 3 days ago makes me feel like I've accomplished nothing. Even considering changing quit date to today.

GenX Jono
20 Replies
sweetplt

Hi...Jono28 ... can I ask...? Are you giving up on your quit? Or are you just giving up on the NRT?  Because people do go through withdrawal when breaking an addiction.  My own opinion is ... Nicotine is out of your system in three days, but what about all the chemicals you filled in your body while smoking.  Your body needs time to heal.  Then work must begin with the mental withdrawal and that is learning new stuff with out the addiction (smoking, vaping, chewing, ecigs, etc.,)...I guess I can’t really help because I am still confused what you are trying to do...6 days quit is super...in the beginning it is all about keeping the quit .. sometimes minute to minute...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

Jono28

Holding onto my quit by a thread. Doesn't make things easier that my wife and daughter apparently are already sick of my increased agitation and temper and have both suggested I just go back to smoking.

I beg them to please just give me space but my wife specifically seems to push. I know I'm wrong and have a short fuse but just begged for a couple days where they give me some grace.

GenX Jono
indingrl

hang in there YOUR doing good

Maki

Don't smoke , give yourself some time to think on this , the future is better . Smoking only starts the craves all over again . You have six days behind you . Talk to us if it helps you work things out . 

NRT or no NRT if you work with the program , seek support and reach out , you will make it . No , Its not easy , we know that but we can tell you smoking is not the answer .  We want you to experience some more positives so just keep going you have come a long way already even though it doesn't seem like it . Please trust us . We are here for you . 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

Don't give in - get busy!!!!  You have almost finished H#ll Week - and that's HUGE!  

It takes three days for the nicotine to be out of your body when you quit, and another month or so for your body to get used to life without it.  This takes effort and resolve to do what it takes.  Read on to better understand what is going on, and then use some of the tips to get past the craves. This is a psychological as well as physical addiction and it isn't easy from which to break free,but it CAN be done.  Lots of us here were successful, and we will ALL tell you it was worth all it took to get here!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for obvious reasons.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Jono28

Thank you Nancy and everyone. Isolating myself to avoid any drama and holding on to 7 day quit. ( 1 day without any nicotine )

GenX Jono
sweetplt

How are you doing today Jono28 ? 

Barbscloud

So where are you right now?  I hope you didn't smoke.  Please let us know how you are.

Barb

Jono28

Hanging in there. Slept in spare room last night and decided to keep my distance for the time being. Hopefully my temperment improves soon, but can't fight the cigarettes and family members at the same time. 

Deciding to definitely accelerate the nicotine detox by going cold turkey and 25 hours in, not noticing any noticeable difference for having ditched the patch.

Hoping that stays the case.

GenX Jono