cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

50 days smoke-free but depressed, angry, and confused

After smoking for about fifteen years on and off (off when pregnant), my husband and I finally decided to quit at the end of last year. We started on the patch and were starting out pretty well, with minimal mood swings. But we weren’t connecting like we used to. Before, at the end of the day after we put the kiddos to bed, we would sit outside, smoking and talking for hours. After quitting, it was just distract, distract, distract. We weren’t connecting anymore. We replaced cigarettes with a TV. 

After about a month, my husband started up again. He found his own loophole- rolling his own cigarettes with loose tobacco, and he’d have one or two at the end of the day. This has progressed to more and more throughout the day. Now he sits outside, where we used to sit together, alone while I’m still distracting myself with the TV. I know he’s got his own process to go through but I’m having the hardest time being close to him. I thought we’d be each other’s support systems, but I now feel I have no one. I hid my smoking from family, and my friends either still smoke or never did.

On top of all this, a few weeks ago the depression and anxiety kicked in, and hard. I’ve done so much reading on all of these topics already but what I think I really need is an actual person who understands, who’s been here or somewhere close... or just some support. I don’t want to give in just so I can be close to my husband again.

51 Replies

I love that- thanks. I’m definitely occupied with two kids most of the day, thank God!! I probably wouldn’t get out of bed otherwise. With my husband sometimes encouraging me to smoke and wanting me to go out and smoke with him, it’s so hard to stay on track. But you’re right, I need to make this about me and stay strong! 

MarilynH

Huge hug, I'm sending lots of positive vibes your way, you've got this one hour, minute or even a second at a time because it's absolutely worth it so hang tough because there's definetly Life after Cigarettes and it's the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE....

YoungAtHeart

I am happy to hear you haven't given in to the temptation to go back to smoking with hubby.  Good for you!

You need to make NEW memories/routines with him that don't include smoking.... could you interest him in a short walk around the block during part of the time you used to smoke (if your kids are old enough for you to do that).  If not, maybe play a card game, or work on a jigsaw puzzle together? 

You are doing GREAT.  Keep at it!

Nancy

Hi Nancy! Thank you so much for your encouragement! I love the idea of asking him to do something with me. The kids are still little so we can’t go far, but after a big blowout fight last night I think maybe I’ll ask him tonight if he’ll play a card game or start a puzzle with me tonight. Hope it works! But if he chooses to smoke instead, I’ll just pray I have the strength to stay calm...

elvan

Take care of YOURSELF, he WILL catch on.  If he chooses to smoke, so be it...you choose NOT to...choose something else.

Thank you so much. Everything you said is truly helpful. It’s difficult to celebrate when I feel like this and to celebrate alone! I am so grateful to have found this group!! I can already feel a difference in my spirit

elvan

THAT'S the spirit...you are doing this and you will really never regret quitting, I think ALL of us regret starting but we are all stronger and happier as EX smokers than we ever were as smokers.  Your enthusiasm is going to be contagious...YOU do not have to smoke, your husband wants very much to be where you are, remember that.

Ellen

That’s true, he does. I do need to keep that in mind... and the reminder of how powerful the addiction is that he’s dealing with. I know it’s hard for him too!

Awesome 50 days!!!!!!!   Our elders have your back.   I am a newer quitter .The people here are always here for us....I would say always come here when dealing with those mood swings.   I have had a few. The 1st ones scared me.  I was anxious and they calmed me down.  

Use the tools in your freedom toolbox.  I am not new at trying to quit, after a 45 yr addiction. I can tell you this site and members are why I know I will stick to the NOPE .  Not one puff ever.....I know I can make it.   I can't wait to say 50 days! Congratulations!!!!!   Think about it, you and your hubby can try some new things to spend time together at the end of the day . I remember well that precious time slot,as our 2 kids were less than 2 yrs apart.  Now new to retirement life changes once again.   As a Nonsmoker I am Embracing the new chapter instead of being terrified of the changes to come.  Take the day as it unfolds and you will do Great!   Hang in there!   Hugs from a Prairie Grandma

Hi Prairie Grandma! Thank you so much for your support! And congratulations to you on quitting as well!! It’s certainly terrifying but I’ve already realized how worth it, it is. Hugs back to you!!