cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hardtoquit

4 days and counting

Was so tied to the few cigs a day. Life revolved around it and it truly seemed i wouldnt let it go, ever. Everyone crossed to the other side but for me.

Had drinks with a friend who reminds me of my mother sometimes(who left us yrs ago) Something clicked in what my friend said. how we related that night. 

I simply went home and it was done. Over. The stop for loosies at the bodega on the way home- done. The walking around my streets the next morning to bum one or buy a pack- didnt need it.  I hadnt set a new date. it just arrived on its own.

Im not jonesing in the studio really. All is the same but without the gross cancer pull. 

Before teaching 1/2cig- absent. The after class 1/2 cig caput.  Each threshold passed is starting a new habit of possibility.

I will get tense and will pass someone smoking and hope i can stay strong. Wanting to on the inside but staying strong on the outside- this is true bravery. NOPE.

This community is amazing- all of you out there are amazingly supportive and loving. Virtual yet real.

Each new day is a blessing. 

26 Replies
hardtoquit

Thank you thank you Nancy! I keep checking in - there's a lot to look at here to read and follow. Its fun and strengthening. I spent a lot of time thinking about smoking doing it hiding it - a whole routine- this is a very cool kind of replacement as you all well know.

Onward.

Cathy

0 Kudos
hardtoquit

How is it going CurlyQ123?

Today starts my second week.  It's so much more doable than I thought.  Once on the other side, restraining from smoking is

annoying and would be much harder without the gum, but I'm really finding all other activities more or less fit the bill to replace,

walks, cooking, seeing friends.  And all the benefits of not smelling, of not having to leave to smoke, of shedding that guilt and 

shame, of being able to write here with pride, it's all a little bit sweeter. 

And knitting is a terrific idea - ambitious!

Hope it's going well - you can do it!!!

Cathy

CurlyQ123

I'm on day 6 and the little devil on my shoulder is telling me that vaping (3 mg nicotine) isn't all that bad (true compared to cigarettes).  Plus, I am realizing that I need a substitute for the instant gratification that vaping provides me. Vaping to me has always been considered a break and reward for working hard.

My body and mind are pulling me two ways since I know I don't NEED to vape in order to be a fully functioning person. Plus, I want to be healthy for my family and those chemicals are not necessary. 

I'm wondering...is this the nicotine talking or is it the loss of something I'm used to doing?

Thank you for keeping in touch! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

It's BOTH!  Nicotine addiction has two parts:  physical AND psychological.  You first must get past the physical withdrawal, the body's reaction to life without the drug, and then the triggers and associations of using it.

Barbscloud

You're not alone.  Many quitters have found the reward cigarette the one they miss the most.  When I'm taking a break or completing a task, I come to the Ex for a short time instead of smoking.

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

Knock the little devil off your shoulder and stomp on it and kill  it. Literally. 

hardtoquit

Fighting Words!

Not sure where my fight is - gotta get it back.

After an empowering first week, my second is actually harder.  I miss cigarettes.  My replacements - gum, food, coffee, are giving

me belly aches!  It's more the psychological component of missing my friend, my relaxation, my stress-reducer.

I'm just feeling sad-ish and lonely.  When I'm out and busy - as a college art teacher with a busy schedule - things are good.

When I'm home in the art studio there are stresses.

HALT and NOPE.  I've turned Hunger into Hurt - Anger, Loneliness, Tired.

As I write, I know that the stresses need to be confronted, broken apart and dealt with and that obviously

smoking only makes everything exponentially worse.  But in discouraging moods, worse can be it's own better. 

I also think I need to use the site for all these weak times - keep it in the community. This will really help resolve.

I apologize for the glum tone, and hope you all are having wonderful quits and days.

I'm planning on going to a wildlife refuge near the beach here in Queens this morning.  I've wanted to go for a long time and

have never been.

Onward

0 Kudos
hardtoquit

I found vaping kept my addiction going for so long - I eventually went back to cigarettes (my husband kept finding my ecigs and 

throwing away anyway!) 

I am still using the gum, and suspect I should be giving that up too.

Good luck and stay strong, one day at a time!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You are still very early in your journey and as long as you are using the gum as a very last resort, delaying and distracting for as long as you can before relying on the gum, you might want to continue with it for a bit.  If you are subbing a piece for every cigarette you used to smoke - when you used to smoke it - you are just trading one addiction for another.  If this is the case, start by putting each piece off as long as possible, getting busy and your mind on something else  You will naturally cut back that way.  To wean off of it, you can cut each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum. 

Nancy

hardtoquit

Thanks Nancy.  I am trying to wait for the gum as more of a treat.  I was using it way more when i was still smoking my 4 loosies.

Agreed should definitely get regular gum and cut the nicotine gum down.  I do see it as infinitely less awful than cigarettes, or ecigs,

so there's that.