cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hardtoquit

4 days and counting

Was so tied to the few cigs a day. Life revolved around it and it truly seemed i wouldnt let it go, ever. Everyone crossed to the other side but for me.

Had drinks with a friend who reminds me of my mother sometimes(who left us yrs ago) Something clicked in what my friend said. how we related that night. 

I simply went home and it was done. Over. The stop for loosies at the bodega on the way home- done. The walking around my streets the next morning to bum one or buy a pack- didnt need it.  I hadnt set a new date. it just arrived on its own.

Im not jonesing in the studio really. All is the same but without the gross cancer pull. 

Before teaching 1/2cig- absent. The after class 1/2 cig caput.  Each threshold passed is starting a new habit of possibility.

I will get tense and will pass someone smoking and hope i can stay strong. Wanting to on the inside but staying strong on the outside- this is true bravery. NOPE.

This community is amazing- all of you out there are amazingly supportive and loving. Virtual yet real.

Each new day is a blessing. 

26 Replies
indingrl

Welcome and WAY TO GO

elvan

Five days now...right?  When you see someone with a cigarette, tell yourself that you are much better off because YOU don't NEED to smoke...they DO.  Keep going, you are doing GREAT and it really will get easier.

Ellen

hardtoquit

Thanks Ellen! Good advice.

Night.

0 Kudos
Ronwv

Last night I went to a local bar for a benefit dinner/raffle. While I was there eating and watching all the drinking and smoking and the dippers doing there thing.

I actually felt pretty good not even wanting any of those items.  But,I do admit on my way home. It felt like I was having a panic attack.

So,I did the best thing I could think of was I took a nrt mint,took a long hot shower and went to bed early.

I woke up feeling refreshed and almost back to my old self.guess,the lesson I learned is I am not ready to go out where the triggers and cravings are.I need the alone time for a bit so I can build a stronger fight plan.

I got on here this morning made my daily pledge and read some quit stories.

SimplySheri

Great job at protecting your quit!!!  You should be very proud of yourself    And sharing may help someone else as well so thank you for that.  Have a great day  

Sheri

Barbscloud

You did great.  Many need to avoid certain situations early on.   Whatever it takes!

Barb

hardtoquit

I can see how that would be really hard Ronwv.  I've just passed into my second week.  The only trigger I've not encountered is

friends smoking.  Most people I know don't smoke, but I've a close out-of-town friend who does.  I'm worried about being with her

and feel I'm probably not ready.  

I'm glad for you that you made it through - there are so many things to give us calm and pleasure which you realized, even if it's getting 

out and safely under those covers!

Onward, Happy Sunday.

Cathy