cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

oktroberts

2nd Time around

I went Cold Turkey in 1991 and quit for 20 years, then a girl left a pack of smokes on my table at a bar and like a dummy I smoked.  I have tried Chantix about 10 times and it would get me down to 1 cigarette a day, and then I would be right back at it.  I try quitting about once a week.  I am 71 and trying to build up a good exercise routine, and I need to shake this addiction again so I can do what I want to do.  Right now I am only walking 3.75 miles at a 3 mph pace, but I want to get up to 5 miles at a 4 mph pace and for that I must quit smoking.  I am trying to get back the mindset that I had in 1991, and using my desire for exercise as my motivation.  I may try Chantix again.  I was the Poster Boy for quitting smoking, and I can do it again.  I know that if I go 3 days that I can quit.

11 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS ON NON SMOKING LIVE FOR YOU! GOOD JOB. Welcome!

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Perhaps what was missing in your previous attempts to quit were education, preparation, planning and support.  You need to supply the commitment to not smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT, but we can help with the rest.  Nothing can quit FOR you - it isn't easy, but it IS doable. 

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it  or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Giulia

Well if you try quitting once a month then you must have a lot of experience!  If you can get down to one, you can get down to none.  Walking 3.75 miles is great.  This little cartoon may give you some new insights:  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube   You're just hanging onto that quit by an addicted thread.  Time to snip it once and for all.  Glad you've joined us.  Stick around!

0 Kudos
elvan

Do the reading, approach this like it is your very first quit EVER and go forward, one day at a time...one CRAVE at a time.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone but NO ONE can say that about smoking.  As you well know...smoking does nothing FOR you, only TO you.  Wow, 20 years!  I am so sorry that you picked up that first cigarette...jump into the water...you may be shocked at first but you will get used to it and it will not hurt you.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

0 Kudos
oktroberts

elvan, I am in the process of anchoring my previous success into my subconscious so the last thing I want to do is not think about that.  I remember now what triggered my Cold Turkey that worked so well.  It was medical research on the connection between smoking and cancer and heart disease.  I respond well to medical evidence.  I know that when I go 3 days without smoking the addiction will be broke.  There is something coming up in January where I will not be able to smoke for 16 days.  I also remember I went through a ton of toothpicks.  A late life crisis put me in an environment that was loaded with cigarettes.  Drinking and smokes went hand in hand.  I wonder if it was easier back in 1991 because I was smoking 2 packs a day and today I do one.  Since I retired in April other interests are taking center stage and smoking effects what I want to do.

0 Kudos
elvan

In three days, the nicotine will be out of your system...if you drink lots of water and flush out your body...the physical addiction is nothing compared to the psychological addiction. You reintroduced that psychological part when you took that first puff.  I smoked for 47 years and had COUNTLESS failed quits.  I used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever when I quit this time.  I worked really hard at staying quit, at identifying my triggers and figuring out things I could do INSTEAD of smoking.  I have COPD and I had to have surgery to remove half of each lung because of how severe the emphysema is and how I was trapping air.  I have two inhalers that I am prescribed to use every morning, I have a nebulizer I can use as needed, and I am on oxygen at night.  I am a retired RN, I knew the risks of smoking...I cared for many patients who were suffering from the damage done by smoking.  Apparently, I thought I was immune.  I now work out regularly and I eat a healthy diet, I take better care of myself now than I ever did.  I have not smoked in over 4 1/2 years...I do not like to be around smoke, I avoid it as much as is possible.  Alcohol is a notorious quit killer and one puff is all that it takes to kill a quit and have to start over.  This is a powerful addiction.  I do think that there smoking is so much less acceptable these days that it should be EASIER to quit simply by going to places where smoking is not allowed. Have you set a date for your quit?  Setting a date and preparing and making a commitment will make it MUCH easier for you...the medical research is very clear on the risks.

Ellen.  

0 Kudos
oktroberts

I respond best to hard scientific evidence, and I have found some on the effects of carbon monoxide.  The CDC provided a list of the effects of smoking, and that did not move me, but reading about the why it effects me is motivational.  As I said I was motivated by hard scientific evidence before and I have found that again.  I am also into self hypnosis and the subconscious, and a big part of that is to play off past success, to anchor that success into your subconscious and recall it when needed.  I went Cold Turkey before with great success.  If I have a problem this time I will go back to Chantix because when I took it before I was not fully committed. 

I could not commit to an exercise routine until I read the book 'Younger Next Year' because it explained in detail the biological imperative for exercise 7 days a week.  That is just how I respond.  Generalities never move me.  The CDC list was just Yada, Yada to me. 

My quit date is tomorrow and I will immerse myself in scientific data, and the process of anchoring my past success into my subconscious.  A trip into the wild life after my last divorce triggered my return to smoking, but that is over and now I will return to the real me.  Last time I used toothpicks to calm the oral fixation, and I will use them again. 

0 Kudos
karenjones

This is a talk given by a heart doctor who is an expert in nicotine addiction, to doctors who are experts in mental health. I have listened to it many times. it has convinced me that the Big Tobacco Corporations are only concerned with getting you addicted for the purpose of getting your money before you die.  End of story. Tobacco is the number one killer in the category of preventable deaths. it out does  all wars, cancers, car accidents, AIDS, suicides combined.  Want to be a statistic...... continue to smoke.  I know you don't want to be a statistic, that was a rhetorical question. We are here for you.....Dr. Andrew Pipe: The Zombies of Smoking Cessation - YouTube 

0 Kudos