cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EastEnd

2nd Day

Second day of no cigarettes, after 40 years of smoking.  I'm wearing a patch and it's going OK.  The most helpful comment that has stuck in my mind is that cravings usually last only 5 minutes or so.  I simply recognize that and it is true.  My nicotine habit had become so ridiculous that quitting is the only thing that makes any sense.  I don't believe I am going to relapse and accept that my life will be different and altogether better without smoking.  I went for a long bike ride early this morning......

27 Replies
Angie_machado

So true, so true!  Now, that I am a non-smoker I find that cleaning the house is not really that bad at all.  I have more energy now so why not.  We have not had company over to our house in over 4 years, now is the time to get the cobwebs down and stop the self isolation.  We used to have so many friends that smoked, one by one they have all quit.  Since we didn't feel comfortable in our own house with non-smokers there, we stopped inviting anyone over.  That's all about to change!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Yahooooo your the bestest lover of people ever in my world... full of experience love hope belief and most of all truth because you WALK you talk my beloved Thomas cuz i been watching you for YEARS now... you GO my beloved brother... you continue to teaching me HOW to stay quit no matter what H... honest in my heart with me no one else about my nicotine addiction... O... open mindedness to learn new ideas and W.. willingnes to ask for help even today... so thank you Thomas  for loving US above yourself... awesome teacher in my world... kiss on each cheek.     

0 Kudos
EastEnd

Thank you all for your comments and support.  Someone mentioned reading a book to learn about nicotine.  Thanks, but after decades of living with it, I know nicotine like the back of my hand.  The addiction alone probably would have never led me to stop.  The effects of inhaling burning tobacco is another story.  My lungs have quickly seen clearing and I'm telling myself I have more energy and focus as a result.  Hypoxia is scary, truly frightening and I am hopeful that  my oxygen levels will improve.  I am still able to be very active so that's a good sign.  

I have conditioned my mind to refuse to accept failure over this.  If I have to wear a patch for 5 years, so be it.  I will never be inhaling a brush fire ever again.  I'm not listening to my mind, I'm listening to my lungs,  

Cheers

indingrl

Congrats way to go.... HOORAY FOR YOU ... keep up the loving you and taking care of you and please remember blog blog blog BEFORE you take that first puff over you... gentle you

0 Kudos
EastEnd

This is officially Day 3 but actually coming up on completing Day 4.  For reasons unknown, Thursday, Friday and Saturday were easier than today.  I awoke earlier than my usual 5:00AM, wanting a smoke and wanted a smoke with some frequency all day long.  Started with a hike this morning followed by a long bike ride but when I returned home middle of the day, urges came with me.  What happened though is I took a four hour nap, just checked out and am now up and about at 6:30PM attending to chores.  

For the first time urge went beyond fleeting moments and I had rationalizations about how buying a pack would be a good thing.  I did not do it, nor will I do it but my hope for tomorrow is that it is not as difficult as today.  I am going to grind it out.  My flight to another world is Thursday and I will be in even more remote country for two months.  I'm telling myself it will be easier then, but that sounds like a version of "you can run and you can hide", neither of which I believe.  

I met a guy on my bike ride this morning, he had two very friendly dogs.  I told him I had just read that some researchers are proposing that very friendly dogs, (most) have a gene mutation that also occurs in humans but in humans it is considered a defect, a disease of sorts.  He laughed out loud and then told me that he was the new government psychiatrist on island.  We went on to discuss the very serious untreated mental diseases here and I parted company not feeling so crazy myself for just lusting for a Marlboro!

elvan

EastEnd‌ I have heard other people say that their fourth day was their worst.  I was really sick on my fourth day so I don't remember much.  I CAN tell you that it takes time and it is one day at a time...each day is different, each day gives you more control over your life...each day you will get stronger.  Stay close, we are here, we want you to succeed.

0 Kudos
EastEnd

Yes, and thanks. My desire to quit is so strong I feel confident I’ll make it through. Having a rough day today is a good test. I’m not smoking……..

elvan

I am really proud of you...we all have good days and bad days and we had them when we smoked too.

Ellen

0 Kudos