cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

EastEnd

2nd Day

Second day of no cigarettes, after 40 years of smoking.  I'm wearing a patch and it's going OK.  The most helpful comment that has stuck in my mind is that cravings usually last only 5 minutes or so.  I simply recognize that and it is true.  My nicotine habit had become so ridiculous that quitting is the only thing that makes any sense.  I don't believe I am going to relapse and accept that my life will be different and altogether better without smoking.  I went for a long bike ride early this morning......

27 Replies
Diannnnn

Welcome and congrats EastEnd‌. Glad you found EX.  I agree with the others, you sound like you are in the right mental state to knock this out of the park!

Dian

Giulia

"Right now I consider pulling the plug on one life and entering another for a couple of months to be a good thing. "  Hope you make it for more than a couple of months.  

bonniebee

sayings welcome red rose.jpgYou came to the right place ! I used the patch it really takes the edge off the craves also deep breathing slowly 3x on the 3rd exhale very S-l-o-w-l-y and by then the crave has passed if not do it one more time I did this many times in the first few weeks then suddenly you notice you are not having to do it so often . If you have a wicked hand to mouth habit as I did cut a straw into 3rds and use them to chew suck or breathe through they were my pacifiers which I gave up unconsciously as I grew in my quit !

Ex was and still is a great support system for me I love the Ex'ers I think of all of you as a second family ! 

I smoked for 52 years of my life I thought I could never be free of this addiction ...in a way we are not I am one puff away from full blown addiction but I am free on a daily basis I do not crave cigarettes anymore sometimes i have a memory that tempts me but believe me when I tell you you will niot feel like you do now forever stick it out it gets so much easier with time . I am now at  894 days and it feels great !ex quit smoking.jpg 

sayings quit smoking joke.jpgVery important .......keep a sense of humor Laugh at that nicodemon !!!

indingrl

thanks Bonnie... 52 years wow... most excellent history and recovering solution... beautiful wisdom for ME... i love you sense of humor... thank you for helping me.... STAY QUIT TODAY ... gentle hug... with your attitude gratitude helping ME to laugh at MYSELF and lighten up on ME.

bonniebee

Your beautiful faith in Jesus always inspires me sister ! 

0 Kudos
Angie_machado

Welcome to the Ex!  I too am on day 2 but I'm using Chantix. Hey anything that works right?  The biggest advice I can add is:  listen, read, and write often. The people here are great!  They seem to know exactly what to say when I'm craving a ciggy.  I've never before reached out to anyone online before when I tried to quit in the past.  Maybe that's why I never succeeded in staying quit?  You can do this!  We are all here supporting you!  Please remember it's up to you on how you proceed with your quit.  You can make it as easy or as tough as you like.  Remember to keep the quit on a positive note, it's so much easier that way.  

If you see someone smoking and you feel like your missing out.  Remember this:. They are smoking because they HAVE to not because they WANT to.  Their addiction to Nicotine is making them smoke.  But not us!  Keep up the good work!  Angie

indingrl

Congrats Angie and great share... you go grl... keep on keeping and thank you for helping ME to STAY QUIT WITH GRATITUDE for everyone today NOT ONE PUFF OVER ME... keep on keeping on Angie.. gentle hug. Great job!!!

Angie_machado

Hi Indingrl!

Thanks for responding to my post!  Just think we are actually doing this.... we're quitting smoking.  No, we are not dreaming about it nor are we talking how great it will be when we quit smoking.  We are live in the flesh EXers.  Feel how good it feels not to smoke.  I'm going to a Kid Rocket concert tonight at the CA Mid-State fair.  Now, I just quit smoking 3 days ago, so this would normally be a slippery place for a new non-smokers.  You know with all the friends meeting up, enjoying ice cold beers!  But, this year they have decided that the fair will be smoke and vape free.  Is someone trying to tell me something.   

Showiestodin

Congratulations, you quit, you can do it.

What's nice is when you eliminate the possibility of smoking 100% it actually simplifies the whole thing. The question no longer is - "Shall I sneak one?" It becomes - "Well, since I won't smoke no matter what, what shall I do instead?" That's actually a much more FUN question and puts us back in the drivers' seat! There is an infinite variety of answers to that question and I get to decide what I choose to do! I can sing, dance, exercise, eat, tell jokes, play with the grandkids, call a friend, take up a new craft, ....go for a bike ride...the list is endless! And I have plenty of time for this instead because I'm not standing around hiding from people while I suck down another Sickerette 2 hours+ a day! WIN - WIN!