cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Juliette67

18TH MARCH 2017, MY QUIT DAY

Hi everyone I have just joined "become an ex" and would appreciate any help and advise.  Thanking you in advance.

31 Replies
lisalhh

Hi Juliette -

You're experiencing pretty much the same things we all went through. I, too, have a close friend who is a heavy smoker, and I'm still avoiding her! We talk on the phone a lot.

Finding something else to do instead of taking that smoke break can be helpful. It's less than 10 minutes to fill, but that's 10 minutes of agony, isn't it? Don't worry. That feeling goes away eventually - especially since you're using Chantix.

I use it, too. After a couple of weeks, tobacco actually starts to taste bad if you should fall off the wagon. Then it starts to taste even worse. Hopefully you won't go down that road, but you might. That's okay as long as you get right back on the wagon and make your way.

I joined up with the EXers a year ago. Unfortunately, I failed big time. Looking back, I see I just wasn't ready. In October, I saw that I had an appointment with my pulmonologist coming up. (I have asthma). He really gave it to me last year; I didn't want to get scolded like that again. Within a month, I only smoked a couple of cigs a week. The pulmonologist was very happy with my progress.

Then I had the yard sale from Hell. I probably smoked 1/2 pack that day. I smoked another month or so after that. BOY DID I FEEL BAD!!! My chest hurt, I had trouble breathing, and I found myself needing that ol' rescue inhaler which I rarely use normally.

I went to my primary doctor for my yearly physical and told him what happened. He decided it was time for me to take Chantix, and here I am today.

I still feel like a recovering smoker and don't dare let my guard down. However, I do feel that I'll never smoke again. I reccomend looking to the future and don't look back. If I can quit, anybody can.

Juliette67

Thanks Lisa for all your good advice.  I have stopped taking Champix today as feel it is a really strong and dangerous chemical to take and makes me feel so sick.  My taste buds are up the pole and I am really grumpy and craving today.

lisalhh

I agree. Chantix is a really strong chemical. I've never had to follow the "take with food" instruction on any prescription I've ever taken. Imagine my surprise the first time I got nauseous from it. Then, there were a couple of times I didn't eat enough food and got a little sick.

I stuck with it though because nicotine is a strong chemical as well - maybe even stronger than

Chantix. Getting rid of cigs is THAT important. Now, even though I'm not a breakfast eater and am 30 lbs. overweight, I make sure I eat a couple pieces of toast, a small bowl of cereal, or even a doughnut or two! Fattening or not, it's still a means to the end of nicotine. First things first, right?

On the other hand, I've spoken with people who only used it for two weeks and then didn't need it anymore. I wish that was me. Alas, it's not.

I also have really good insurance and don't have to pay for my Chantix. Someone else told me they had to pay more than $200 for it. I would have had to find a different route for my quit if I had to pay that much money. Maybe that's why some people only take it for a short time.

So there's some food for thought for you!

TerrieQuit

Good morning, Juliette67 I hope you have a great day 2!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
Juliette67

Hi Thanks Terrie, day 1 and 2 went by much easily than today which is day 3.  Am at work and battling away but determined not to give in:)

TerrieQuit

Well, happy day 3, Juliette67  Stay busy at work and hopefully, that will take your mind off of it. If you are not using NRT, the nicotine will soon be out of your body. I am glad that day 1 and 2 went well! There is hope for today! Stay strong and check in as often as you can!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
Juliette67

Thanks so much Terrie, I am on Champix which seems to help.  Hope all goes well today and will check in with you guys if i get frantic:)

TerrieQuit

I don't think Chantix has nicotine in it! I am glad it is helping! See you later!  ~Terrie~ Don't Quit on your Quit!

0 Kudos
freeneasy

You-can-do-it-BABY.jpg

elvan

How are you doing, Juliette?

0 Kudos