cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

MichelleDiane

What's your experience after the 7mg patch?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the patch.  Tomorrow will be my last day on 7mg (the lowest step).  What was your experience like?  Thanks in advance.

-Michelle

Labels (1)
51 Replies
Sdavisfl

I started with the 14mg and initially it worked great. I went from smoking 1/2 pack a day to only smoking 3 a day;however, now that I'm down to 1 day, I seem to be stuck. I used the gum with the patch, and I think that made a difference.

0 Kudos

If you are using the gum and the patch and you're still smoking one a day, what is your plan?

Or did I misread it? Was this on a prior quit?

Many people using NRT's use more than they ever got by smoking and they don't realize it.

Perhaps that would indicate how strong the connection the ritual/habit (psychological addiction) is when it is not assuaged with all the nicotine replacement?

All the NRT's in the world won't help you think of smoking less due to the connections to the ritual.

Sdavisfl

You're probably  right,but I don't know what else to do and I feel it's better than nothing. I need to get out more. I only smoke when I'm home. It's more habit from boredom. I'm retired. Perhaps volunteering will help.

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Hi Sdavisfl.  As a patch use I can say that it has been helpful.  I had a very good quit going until I stopped the lowest dose.  I finished the 7mg patch at the designated time, but did not use my tool kit the first three days off.  I didn't realize why I felt angry and frustrated.  Now looking back I recognize that it was due to the Nicotine being totally out of my system by the third day off.  I am very certain that if I had reached out to this group, journaled, or used every other tool I had been practicing for two months I would still be smoke/nicotine free.  I had a few weeks after my relapse in March to reflect on what I did or didn't do.  Now I am on the 14mg patch.  I still have moments when my emotions are off balance and I think about smoking, but I reach into my tool kit and use whatever I have.  I am going to go down to the 7mg in about 2 weeks and then go off of that after another two weeks.  This time I will remember what happened and not make the same mistake.  Being aware of feelings and emotions is important because that is all that they are.  I know that now.  It doesn't mean working through them is easy, but when you do you increase your confidence that you can do it.  Wishing you success.

-Michelle

Sdavisfl

Thank you Michelle. I have applied for a volunteer position and I'm hoping that will help. I've switched to the logenzers and today is my 7th day without a cigarette 

Do you have things you liked to do before you retired that work kept you from doing? A hobby?

Volunteering is a wonderful way to help others knowing you are doing something good for them build our sense of self worth too. 

Sdavisfl

I stopped both and now I just use the logenzers. They are working better. Today is my 7th day with no cigarette, but it's still hard.

0 Kudos

Good

Just an aside.

The thought of smoking has nothing to do with using or not using NRT's.

Thinking of smoking is natural because we incorporated it into our day routine. Using an NRT does not relieve that.

The only way to be free is to allow enough time to unlearn the connections to our memories and emotions experienced with a cigarette by making new ones without smoking.

0 Kudos

I was a little antsy, but it went away after a few days.  Just keep telling yourself it's all in my head, it's all in head...... so you go grab those red shoes, girl and click away.  you're still going to have some emotional crud going on, but just know it's not going to last and will hang on as long as you hang on to it.  by letting go of its grasp will be freeing

MichelleDiane

I think it is so ironic to be reading this post.  After I went off the 7mg patch I did exactly the opposite of what people here were telling me to do (including today's comments).  I don't have to tell you how that turned out as you all may know I relapsed back in March.  I am now 30 days WON and am starting the 7mg step down.  However, this time I know what to expect.  I also know that I can't and won't smoke.  Thanks for the continued support.  I love ex