cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sylvie

Surprise and desapointment ...need input from long time user of chantix

Hello everyone!
OK no bid deal, and i will make this quick : last saturday, i had real urges, often, it surprise me, and really wasn't happy about it, could not understand what whas going on....until dinner time I realise I had forgotten to take my pill in the morning.....
I am so dissapointed to realise how dependant I am on that pill....(i take only one per day for the past 2 weeks, I am on my 43rd day of being smoke free)
So....is this what i have to look foward to? I am trying really hard not to focus on the future, but take it a day at the time.....I am wondering if because in the pill, you don't feel as much the craving.....its like those "demons craving", where just waiting to manifest themselves....as soon as the chantix effect was gone......
no what i mean?
Anyway....I am very positive person, soooooo, i will talk to myself, lol anyway there is no way i will smoke again.....no excuses whatsoever.....
I would appreciate comments on ex chantix people.
thanks alot for taking the time to respond!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
asd

I used Chantix earlier this year. I thought it was AMAZING. I did quit smoking almost the same day, just no urge to smoke what so ever. It was really strange. Anyways, I noticed certain things happening as a result of the morning pill, just being REALLY ill. But then that went away. I also started getting SEVERE cramps when taking the pill. I did have some pretty bizarre dreams but I didn't know till later that this and the cramps were common when taking this pill. However, I did feel like I was swallowing a lump in the back of my throat after about a month or so of taking the pill. The lump immediately went away after I stopped taking the pills but the urge to smoke came back instantaneously. Which sucked. I found out that you have to be on chantix for 6 months for that to not happen and even then you have to be 'weened' off chantix. My doctor didn't tell me that, which was ultimately pretty upsetting to me. Well, here I am again, trying to quit smoking. The chantix does work, but there are a ton of side effects and I haven't met one person who didn't have one side effect or the other, so I don't know how they get away with saying that only 3 % of the users have them.

I think that cold turkey has worked the best for me in the past. But whatever you choose, just remember that you are better than a substance. You can do it 🙂 May take some time, but you can do it.
0 Kudos
cindy16

I do not know if it was not taking the pill or your mind saying you did not take your pill. I plan on taking the entire time. Just to make sure. I'm only taking half a pill in the morning because I get sick. Today I plan on taking a half a pill and talking to the pharmacist. Want to see if I can tke a half a pill about an hour apart in the morning.My husband smokes so I know I have a tough road.Weather is getting colder. I hate to smoke outside in the winter. So that will help
Have a nice day,
Cindy
0 Kudos
donna22

Hi Cindy, I started taking Chantix in June, after about 1 month I stopped taking the evening pill because of sleep disturbances...I have forgotten to take the pill a couple of times and have not experienced a problem with extreme cravings...I hope when I'm done taking it that I don't suddenly get hit with them...my Dr. said its ok to take Chantix for 6 months which I will since I"m only taking 1/2 the normal dose...he told me to wean off of them....sorry you had a problem...I hope more people who have quit with Chantix will see this and respond....
0 Kudos
cindy16

Thanks for the response. I just dread the morning pill. Makes me feel so sick. I will try to take my half pill in a few before taking my little one to the bus stop. I'm not giving up. Sick or not I'm sticking with chantix. I want to take the full dose in the morning. I'm afraid will not quit if I only take half the dose in the morning. I have been smoking 4 a day. Only out of habit. Cigarettes do not taste good. My husband smokes so that will be a challenge . I' m really ready this time.
Cindy
0 Kudos
donna22

Cindy, are you eating before you take the morning pill? I usually have yogurt and then wait about 15 min then take it with a full glass of water....I'm sorry it makes you so sick....get rid of the 4 cigarettes you are smoking, you are just delaying the nicotine from getting out of your system...that's torture, good luck, be sure and eat and let us know what the pharmacist says...
0 Kudos
cindy16

Yes i do eat. I have yogurt too., Half pill is ok, full pill is horrible. I'm going in a little while to ask the pharmacist. I know him. I work there too. Will let you know what he says. I want to take the full ppill 2 times a day. Right now half in the morning and full at night. I ok at night but the morning is not good at all. I feel like I'm going to get sick. I did run the bathroom one morning at work, did not get sick. Just felt like it.
Thanks for all the support, Cindy
0 Kudos
sylvie

Thanks for your inputt, all! appreciate it,what is annoying to me is that, finaly i could of quit cold turkey and go through withdrawels,(with no side effect from the pill) and by now: 43 days later, i would be as OK as I am now...??!!
Not to mimimize cold turkey, I have done it before.....lol
So when I eventually stop the Chantix I will still go through some, not as strong ,maybe, withdrawals.
Thats why I wanted to hear from long time of the cigarettes Chantix users.
Anyway, the sun is shinnig outside it is a georgeous autumn day, time for a nice long walk.
Take care all.
0 Kudos
kerry

Hi Sylvia, Chantix helped me to not want to smoke, but I did end up in the hospital with stroke symptoms. I'm glad it's working for you, but be aware of any mood changes, they can be a sign of really negative things. Keep going...43 days is great!!!
0 Kudos
cindy16

What do you mean stroke symptoms?
Cindy
0 Kudos