cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

OtownBob137

Quitting with the Patch

Planning to quit using a patch on 01/02/18 Many failed cold turkey quits haven't worked for Any positive feedback would be very helpful Thanks

Labels (1)
21 Replies
elvan

OtownBob137  Welcome to EX, I did not use the patch or any other nicotine replacement...I got so sick that my quit was really taken out of my hands.  I, too, had many failed quits...always cold turkey.  Once I found this site and did the recommended reading and I became a part of this community, it was an entirely different story from any of my other quits.  I blogged, I commented, I sought advice and I took it.  I came here twice a day, every day, first thing in the morning and last thing at the end of the day.  I came in between times when I could and certainly when I needed it.  I read all of the blogs by people talking about their "forever" quit and I so longed to be able to say that, to be able to BELIEVE that.  I will not tell you that it was easy because it wasn't, it was work.  I quit one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time or one minute at a time...I just kept going forward and I used the mantra I got from here...NOPE over and over and over again.  Not One Puff Ever.  I accepted that quitting is a journey and not an event and I still stay close to the site.  I will celebrate 4 years of freedom in January after smoking for 47 years.  That's a very long time and I did a LOT of damage but I am working to be as healthy as possible, one day at a time.

Again, welcome to EX, stay close to the site and know that everyone here has been where you are right now.

Ellen

Mandolinrain

I can only Echo the words already said. I hope you take the time to read and research. For me anyhow it was the knowledge that saved my life from nicotine...you do what ever means works for you..patch or no patch...you still have to make the choice eventually. The more you understand the addiction, I feel....the better choices you will make.

Good to see you here and hope you stick around.

Missy

If it irritates your skin, move the patch around. I put it on my shoulder. Keep it on the outside skin as opposed to the more sensitive skin on the inside of your arm.

ampan75

I used patch for one week, 14 mg one. not needed after that. I also took bupropian. I think bupropian helped me with getting  patch off early. I won't advice cold turkey. it won't be smart way.

there is no painless way to quit smoking, but the patch takes the edge off.  You have to find what works for you.  Some find cold turkey works, the patch, the gum, the lozenge, wellbutrin, chantix.  You just have to keep trying until you find one.  important thing is not to give up.  Stand firm.  My story, I used the patch, been quit close to 2 years.  I used it for 2 months.  If you're going that route, follow the directions on the package.  I used Walmart's generic kind.  Moved it to a different place each day.  Check out https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters?sr=search&searchId=6a0485f8-42c4-4d05-91cb... 

bonniebee

I used the patch to quit and I also kept nicotine lozenges as  a back up .....that is how addicted I was to smoking ! I only used the lozenges for the hardest times like first thing in the morning before the patch started working and after a meal or when beginning to drive somewhere .

Please stick to the patch program to assure your success ! You can do it !

pir8fan

I would suggest that you follow the directions on the package! But remember the patches will not Quit for you! You can rip them off and uses them as a scapegoat for failure! You are the one who must do this! 

The good news is that you CAN do this! We will help!

MichelleDiane

I am using the patch to quit.  I think it is helpful as it was helpful when I attempted my quit last year.  I was the one who wasn't helpful.  I use a lot of different aides such as the patch, drinking a lot of water, coming to this site multiple times a day, talking to myself, counting the money I am saving, and breathing in deep breaths.  Best of luck.  I know everyone is supportive here, so keep coming back.

TW517

Everyone is different.  I had 6 failed quits using the patch and/or lozenges or gum.  I quit cold turkey over 7 months ago, and that was the ticket for me. 

Many years ago, I was taking some seminary classes.  One of my fellow students asked our professor which version of the Bible he should buy?  The prof said, "They one you'll read".  As others have said, pick a plan and stick with it.  

Congrats on starting your quit!  Keep us informed on how you are doing and ask for help as often as you need.

fabulousat50

I am also going with the patch, and yes the same with me tried to quit, but i have to say being involved with this site, doing the reading helps a lot.  Keep that positive thought.  just keep educating yourself. I absolutely love reading everyone stories, advise, this is definitely the place to be.