cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Rosie1917

Quit Day: I'm Really Doing It!

Today is DOF 1. It has been a REALLY rough morning so far, but I did it. I beat some previously unbeatable situations and didn't cave (arguing with the spouse - it has always led to me caving, but not this time!) It feels great to know that I have this power in me to beat my cravings. I told myself, "Rosie, if you light a cigarette you will still feel upset and it won't change anything. It will only make you sick. Do you want that?"

One thing I am very concerned about is that I did scan the apartment for cigarettes (not searching, but as I made coffee, my eyes were scanning the area). I had a conversation with my addict about this response to our conscious decision to break free from addiction and to heal. I documented the event here and in my stop smoking app. I took about 20 minutes to breathe and scroll through Facebook. I checked my bank account. Sipped more coffee and stared out the window. I let it pass.

I do also worry that the Chantix won't work as well as I thought or expected. Today is day 7 of taking it, so I just took my dose increase (maybe that will actually alleviate my concerns). I'm worried that since I took it as directed and continued to smoke, my brain created MORE nicotinic receptors, just to accommodate the nicotine that had no place to go. I've tried looking online for anything that would either prove or disprove this fear, but I haven't found any real study. Has anyone felt like Chantix makes them want to smoke more?

Labels (1)
25 Replies
maryfreecig

Every hour won is a win. Keep going, you have done the brave thing--keep it up one moment at a time.  Congrats on first day.

Rosie1917

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the day when I have to stop and think...'oh wow! I totally forgot that I used to smoke'. I know it'll come sooner than I thought, but for now it's basically all I can think about. Taking it one moment at a time and really leaning on this support group for a guiding light.

YoungAtHeart

The few receptors that are created (if any, idk about that!) is a drop in the bucket compared to what has been created during your entire smoking life.  I wouldn't worry about it!   Seems like you have a lot of time to be thinking.  How about getting busy instead?  Take some slow/deep breaths, march in place, clean out a drawer or a closet.  Here's a list of things from which you might chose:  

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

Arguing with yourself about smoking will wear you out, so try to change your mind's direction when you start!

Rosie1917

CHEW SOME CLOVES!!! HAHAHAH! Just thinking about that makes my mouth tingle. This is a great list with some fantastic ideas. And you are 100% correct...I need to just get out of my head. I'm glad that you and your hubby get to have nice make out sesh's now. Lol! 

YoungAtHeart

Oh, how I wish!  I'm single - doncha' know?!!

But - if I did have a SO, wouldn't the kisses have been GROSS when I smoked?  YUCK!

They make clove gum!  https://www.amazon.com/Beemans-Black-Jack-Clove-Chewing/dp/B07VS4HYGK/ref=asc_df_B07VS4HYGK/?tag=hyp... 

Barbscloud

Congrats on your quit day.  No the Chantix isn't creating new nicotine acetylcholine receptors.   First, its' activating those sites in the brain to ease withdrawal symptoms.  Secondly, it actually stops the nicotine from attaching to the nicotine receptors.  So, not to worry.  It's doing what it's supposed to do.   

We all have a favorite tools.  I walked, stayed busy around the house inside and out, played video games. and used Sour Patch Kids and chewing on straws.  Try some things and see what works for you.

Keep moving forward.

Barb

anaussiemom

Wonderful!!

You are really do it!!
tumblr_pfn799mszG1xfcfxmo1_400-727592.gif

sweetplt

You can do this Rosie Rosie1917 think in the here and now and know that the craving will pass...drink lots of water (it helps the crave and to clean out toxins), keep busy, etc., and breath...Colleen 

pastedImage_2.gif

Congratulations! It is work whether you take Chantix or not. In another words, just because you’re on this med there will be no cravings. You will have to fight with yourself and beat the cravings. You seem strong! So many have done it so I know I can do it too and so can you!!