cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Rosie1917

Quit Day: I'm Really Doing It!

Today is DOF 1. It has been a REALLY rough morning so far, but I did it. I beat some previously unbeatable situations and didn't cave (arguing with the spouse - it has always led to me caving, but not this time!) It feels great to know that I have this power in me to beat my cravings. I told myself, "Rosie, if you light a cigarette you will still feel upset and it won't change anything. It will only make you sick. Do you want that?"

One thing I am very concerned about is that I did scan the apartment for cigarettes (not searching, but as I made coffee, my eyes were scanning the area). I had a conversation with my addict about this response to our conscious decision to break free from addiction and to heal. I documented the event here and in my stop smoking app. I took about 20 minutes to breathe and scroll through Facebook. I checked my bank account. Sipped more coffee and stared out the window. I let it pass.

I do also worry that the Chantix won't work as well as I thought or expected. Today is day 7 of taking it, so I just took my dose increase (maybe that will actually alleviate my concerns). I'm worried that since I took it as directed and continued to smoke, my brain created MORE nicotinic receptors, just to accommodate the nicotine that had no place to go. I've tried looking online for anything that would either prove or disprove this fear, but I haven't found any real study. Has anyone felt like Chantix makes them want to smoke more?

Labels (1)
25 Replies
Rosie1917

YES WE CAN! Rosie.jpg

Strudel

You are doing this - congrats to you! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Almost Day WON!

Yippee!!!

indingrl

Yahooooo - GOOD JOB 1 DOF

Rosie1917

Thanks all for the support! I only had about 10 cravings today. And it while the morning was brutal, it got better pretty quick. Can't wait until tomorrow when I tackle day 2. ❤️ 

elvan

Rosie1917‌ Hope you are doing well, love the way you talked that crave down.  Your recognition that smoking would not help anything is major.  It really IS going to get easier.

Ellen

elvan

& today Rosie1917‌ how are you doing today?
Ellen

0 Kudos
Rosie1917

Freakin' awesome! I've seriously never felt this great about quitting smoking. I feel like a brand new woman. Like I can conquor anything. It was difficult to quit drinking booze a couple years back (especially wine...goes SO great with a lovely meal). But quitting cigarettes has been the absolute most difficult thing I've ever done. And I'm doing it. I definitely have the support of this community (and nearly 2 decades of quit attempts...building up my toolkit) to thank for this. 

How is YOUR quit today?

Welcome Rosie! I agree. I stopped drinking too and quitting smoking does seem harder. I think it’s cuz we did it basically all the time. Stick to your quit! It’s definitely doable! I’m over 80 days. 

Rosie1917

Congrats Hannahkim12345‌! Keep it up!

0 Kudos