cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

CarynS

New here. Cold turkey and my brain Isn't working

Well, I guess less than normal  I accidentally quit smoking on 2/28 when my plane landed from a work trip and I got the flu so bad I couldn't smoke... for days!!

I kept trying desperately to light them and hacked my face off everytime I tried to inhale. After a few days I figured it was bronchitis and went to the urgent care. That's when I figured I should probably just give quitting another go. It had been days since I smoked anyway.

I'm sure like most, over the past 30 years, I've tried every method there was - NRT, pharmaceuticals, hypnosis/ acupuncture... but never cold Turkey. I figured that was the WORST of the WORST!! Turns out it really makes the most sense and has been a million times easier than tapering off my addiction- which sounds silly to me now.

Anyway, I'll be okay for the 1st month or so. Somewhere around month 3.5-4 is where I LOSE my mind everytime! This little bug in my brain wants to smoke and nags the shit out of me until i give in. I figured I'd try finding a support site ahead of it, change some behaviours and see if I can head it off beforehand.

In the meantime, my brain is only functioning at like 50% I dont remember when to start or stop tasks. My job still has tons of deadlines that I need to meet (some I'm late on already) and I'm really wanting to find a way to manage this. I've read a lot where folks say it'll pass. I kinda dont have time for that and presentations that must go on! Does anyone have tips that help with minimizing brain fog and getting projects started/ completed? I've given myself a few days already, passed a couple of small assignments off, but now I'm down to the wire. Any suggestions would be great!

Looking forward to meeting my new quitting smoking friends and wish us all the best!

Caryn 

Labels (1)
15 Replies
anaussiemom

Going back to normal after quitting smoking - YouTube    quit.com and You tube  watching his vids may help. Also meditation lots on you tube   just staying focused for 3 minutes breathing and saying one word..pick one helps a lot.  caryns

Good Luck!!

indingrl

Welcome and one breathe at a time and do the latest project first and then keep moving ONE project at a time and wah LAH -  ALL prohects done before you know it and CONGRATS ON STAYING NICOTINE FREE- WAY TO GO AND GOOD JOB. Yahoooooo

sweetplt

Welcome to Ex’s 

Glad you found our site.  Congratulations on your Quit.  Honestly, you are worth h this quit.  Please go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and read and work the program. It will help secure some nervousness in your quit.  Also, search and read blogs here.  Keep close to the site to help others and get help.  

When in doubt go to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking 

We are in this together... ~ Colleen 104 DOF

lqsi12

Hi, is your name Carolyn ? hope I got it right thought I would put in my 2 cents here first with congratulations on your decision to stick with the " sick quit ".  You know whats cool about this is next time your ill as a non smoker you will recover quicker, I know that not helping what your going thru now.  Any how using a few key words I was looking on the net and I found this page that will help you, with your dopamine levels here is one 

https://www.quitterscircle.com/staying-smokefree/5-ways-to-increase-dopamine-without-smoking-cigaret...  

one thing for sure that worked well for me was, controlled breathing ( there's an app for that ), orange juice, lots of water, pistachio's, and as much possible rest that I could get, with very few distractions.  Since I am retired that was easy for me.  But for you, it may not be possible. One of my quits in the past was over vacation, but it was an active vacation away from home.  That quit left me with no brain fog. 

Best of luck we're here for you !

CarynS

Well thank you for the link. I'm trying all the normal things that should work. It is evident to me that quitting with NRT wasnt releasing me from my addiction. So I think I need to just keep trudging through with my cold Turkey quit and see when it lightens up.

mrios5776

I keep a stress ball at my desk and SQUEEEEEZEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!