cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sue38

Need a little advise on this...

I have an unusual situation. I have smoked for ever, was able to quit completely last November using CHANTIX, and have decided that I have to eliminate the stress smoking, I started Chantix yesterday but my problem (and the downfall from my last success) is dealing with stress while on Chantix. I am recovering from a work related injury (triple back fusion) and sadly, am in the final phase of divorce after a 25 year relationship. My question, has anyone used Xanax or Lorazepan in conjuntion with Chantix? It makes sense to me that the two combined should get me through the stress issues, just wonder if I am on the right track. Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated as I simply adored being smoke free for those 3 months...
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
pauline

Hi Sue,
I use Chantix - I have been on it for 3 months now, and I also take Xanax .5 mg. but I only take the xanax once in a while. The problem with the xanax is it slows me down quite a bit, eventhough I cut the xanax in half. It does help with the "gotta have a cig now" but only about a half hour after I take it, and after that it does help a little. It would not hurt for you to ask your doctor for a script to see if it will help you for this really rough time.
I am so sorry to hear about your accident and your divorce too. Hang in there you will heal soon sweetie!
0 Kudos
miriam3

Sue, I dont understand, you said you quit... but you stress smoke??
0 Kudos
sue38

Thanks...I will do that...have a great weekend!
0 Kudos
sue38

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, the neurosurgeon had told me I had to quit smoking in order to have my fusion. I was able to quit from the first of November to the first of February using Chantix, then the stress of life came crashing in and I foolishly started again. That was when I accepted the fact that I don't smoke because I enjoy it, I am indeed a stress smoker, hence my question.
0 Kudos
miriam3

Sue, while I understand your "definition" I heard denial in your answer. We were ALL "stress" smokers or we wouldn't be here hanging on to that extra day we dont pick up a cig. It is an addiction that is hard to kick. Those that smoke for "pleasure, or social reasons, or whatever reason you can think of....do not need Chantix, do not need this site. We all experience the stress of life. All of us. You can do it. Chantix works!!!
0 Kudos
sue38

Thanks for your words of encouragement! Yes Chantix is fabulous, it worked before, and I think with the addition of xanax it can see me through all this turmoil. Have a safe holiday weekend!
0 Kudos
deanna2

hi sue
i am a chantix user and i also take effexor 75mg and lorazapam 1mg daily along with bp meds and my vitamins all is good
0 Kudos
sue38

So glad to hear it IS effective. Thanks Deanna!
0 Kudos
sue38

I have been on Lexapro, for the first year after filing for divorce I couldn't stop crying my heart was so broken when I found out about my husbands affair. It helped me stop crying but it also assisted me in tipping the scales an additional 30 lbs.
Along with that my soon to be ex has decided he doesn't have to pay the court ordered support so my funds are currently limited, I have no insurance, thats why I asked for lorazepan, only $4 at Walmart! I am extremely cautious about becoming addicted, after I hurt my back I was on 120 mg of morhine and unknowingly became addicted. The withdrawals were horrid so I do thank you for your words of caution as I was under the impression that xanax and lorazepan were NOT addictive...I wil indeed proceed with extreme caution as I definitly do NOT want to trade one addiction for another...
My quit date is next Saturday, Sept 6. I will have been on the Chantix almost 2 weeks. I had called one of those places that guarantees you will stop smoking with a series of shots, and was told that my life is way too controversial to even attempt to quit at this time, but I was always an 8-10 cig a day smoker, now I'm way over a pack a day and am getting desperate.
Bless you for taking the time to write me surrealchereal...I appreciate all the help I have received.
0 Kudos