cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sue38

Need a little advise on this...

I have an unusual situation. I have smoked for ever, was able to quit completely last November using CHANTIX, and have decided that I have to eliminate the stress smoking, I started Chantix yesterday but my problem (and the downfall from my last success) is dealing with stress while on Chantix. I am recovering from a work related injury (triple back fusion) and sadly, am in the final phase of divorce after a 25 year relationship. My question, has anyone used Xanax or Lorazepan in conjuntion with Chantix? It makes sense to me that the two combined should get me through the stress issues, just wonder if I am on the right track. Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated as I simply adored being smoke free for those 3 months...
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sue38

OMG You have made so much sense!! I have been wondering why my condition is reverting to the previous aches and pains but I didn't make a conncetion between the smoking and the achiness/discomfort. Last week my left leg was going numb and exercise just wasn't helping, it made it feel worse...YOU ARE A SAINT!!! Wish my last name were Trump, then I could afford counseling ( smiles and laughter). I spent my grocery money on the Chantix last week. This will just make me more determined to quit. Thanks so much misplaced texan I am so blessed you took the time to explain this to me.
Best wishes...Sue
0 Kudos

Sue, no you should not have any side effects, or more accuratly adverse drug interactions taking Chantix with Xanex or Ativan. Your back fusion is going to go to shit if you don't quit smoking completly and all the problems you had post surgical will eventually return. The reason why the doctor told you to quit is the muscle group that supports the back, and the blood supply to the area is minimal. Smoking constricts the blood vessels flowing to that area and this dealys healing. Also, backs take 12 to 24 months to heal, so stress smoking or whatever you want to call it is not helping at all. I am sorry to hear about your divorce, and even more sorry to hear about your back surgery but you seriously need to stop the cycle of hurting yourself. Smoking is hurting you physically, and with a back injury you are doing even more damage. Try wellbutrin, Xanex, or Ativan, but you also need to seek some help. By that I mean you need to see a professional to help you talk through some of your issues. Trying to deal with all of that and quit smoking is a lot to do alone, even with a site like this. You may be asking yourself what makes me an expert, well I survived a back injury that left me paralysed for the better part of a month, and learning how to walk again for another five. I am a RN, and I have done a lot of research on back injuries and treatment. The mental part, thats easy, and anybody can tell you major life changes are very hard to go through. So, good luck with everything, and remember smoking only hurts you.
0 Kudos