cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ladymullet

I need help!!!!

I started Chantix two weeks ago this coming Thursday. I smoked one cigg Sat and one Sun, then Monday was my quit. I didn't smoke one yesterday but today I am going crazy. I can't stop the cravings, not with deep breathing, not staying busy, not with any thing. Maybe I wasn't ready, should I give it a couple of more days smoking just one. I had no trouble witht he one, I don't know what to do.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
rob17

I didn't have that much difficulty quitting after one week, but I did relapse after about a week or so. I only smoked for about another week until I quit again. I would say continue taking them and set a new quit date. There's nothing in stone that says seven days is the ideal time to quit.

A question though (this will help figure out something). When you do smoke those two or three cigarettes, do you get enjoyment from them? Do you get that "AAHHH" feeling you probably got before starting the Chantix? If so, then you're not ready yet. If you don't get the same enjoyment as you did, it means the Chantix is starting to do its job. If they taste nasty and you find yourself putting them out half way through, then your problem is with the mental aspect and not the physical. In that case, you're just going to have to make a decision that you want to quit smoking.

Good luck!
Rob

There should be enough of the medicine in you to control the cravings, but maybe not. i would suggest keep taking the Chantix and getting some mints or candy to put in your mouth when the cravings come.
april.3

I am in month 5 of no cigarettes and I still get cravings. My worst ones came around the second month. I finally realized that smoking had been such a big part of my life for such a long time that it was like losing a part of my self that I was going to mourn for a while, think of ocassionally and miss. IT DOES GET EASIER. Just take it one day at a time and keep a positive attitude. Keep the quit! - it is not worth starting over again, the first week is the worst.

April