cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
lisa319

Hello, I am on my 2nd day Hopefully many moreday without..I choses to quit clod turkey becatuse i take curtain medication and i dont want to start taking another..This is my 4th attempt at quitting but my first quitting without any meds..

0 Kudos

When I quit for 9 years, I did cold turkey. I am going to do it that way this time too. The patches aren't that expensive, when you consider the cost of cartons of cigs, it's less $. I just want the nicotine to get out of my body faster. My quit date is 4-30-13; I am scared but excited at the same time. Still worried I will miss it too much. But I am reminded after reading the blogs here on this site, that I am NOT giving something up, I am gaining a whole lot! And I keep reminding myself of all the ingredients in these nasty things, hoping that will deter me.

0 Kudos

I will be quitting cold on 4-30-13; that's how I had quit for 9 years. I want the nicotine out of my system asap. I think my hardest part of quitting is the mental/identity part. I feel "lost" in my "down time" if I can't have a cig. I tried 2 wks ago & my emotions took over on the 4th day. I want this so bad to be successful!

Hope to see lots of discussion here.

Michele

0 Kudos
ryancorie

Welcome Michele and Lisa, great to see some members in the group.  We can help each other through this difficult time.  It has been easier for me as the weeks go by, today I have made it 44 days smoke-free.  Hope you guys are doing awesome and keep up the good work.

Corie

0 Kudos
lisa319

Today I hit my one week smoke free,and boy it has not been easy. It fustrating Got no support from the family,  kids to drive you insane.But one day at a time........so I hope to see more with this group......

0 Kudos
lisa319

Today I hit my one week smoke free,and boy it has not been easy. It fustrating Got no support from the family,  kids to drive you insane.But one day at a time........so I hope to see more with this group......

0 Kudos
ryancorie

We will give you support Lisa, you can do this.  One week is definitely an accomplishment.  Keep up the good work and keep on posting when you feel the urge to smoke.

Corie

0 Kudos

After trying the patch (for free) for 3 weeks, I got sick and slipped.  I am looking for things that I can do that will help me when I do get a craving.  When I slipped, it was not because i really wanted the cigarette.  I do know that stress is one of my triggers, so is being stuck at the computer at home.  When I go to the church and help out, I can literally sit for up to 4 hours inside the building in front of a computer with no problem.  My biggest thing is that I hate to have to wait on someone or something.  I do take classes online and as long as the conversation are interesting, I am okay. Or if i am really paying attention to the professor, I do well.  Before I quit, I had internet connection problems and had to go to McDonald's for class.  I did fine sitting inside with headphones on.  I know I can kick this.  I just need positive support.  My pastor was not very supportive nor was my mother.  Everyone else was though.  When I slipped, I did not have time to log in here because I was really busy with school work and battling the sickness caused by the patch.  Thanks in advance for any advice that will help me.

0 Kudos
ryancorie

How is everyone doing on their quit.  I have been doing awesome.  This is the best decision I have made in a long time.  Hope you are all doing great....

0 Kudos

Hey fellow cold turkeys.  The last time I quit was cold turkey and it worked for 3 months.  Then I tried patches, meds, etc.  They didn't work for me.  Going to go back to cold turkey method.  I figure I started smoking without aids, surely I can retrain my brain to stop smoking without them.  Its all mind over matter.  If I can mind my triggers then cigs won't matter.

0 Kudos