cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancympearson

Cold Turkey Quitters

Ann, I didn't do the tracking. I just quit. I think they help but I wanted to quit when my courage allowed me to quit. If it feels right for you, do the tracking. It might get you to relax and get you used to quitting and it can take some of the fear away. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it. Stay close to this site and focus on the positive. Nancy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
647 Replies
lorrie

Like the rest I am here for support to staying quit.I have not had a puff since the 17th of January 2009. I was hospitalized for a huge mass in my tongue. It was closing off my airway and i couldn't swallow. I was not able to eat or for a week. Now that the surgery is over and the mass is gone(hopefully), i want to get healthy and be here for my little ones. I am looking for some creative ways to beat the cravings. I have a doc appt tomorrow to check on meds. Any suggestions on what works best or anyone want to share their experiences with meds with me?
0 Kudos
hwc

If you haven't had any nicotine for four days, I would strongly recommend that you not take any nicotine medications.

The underlying cause of your smoking is a drug addictiont to nicotine. You have now gotten the drug completely out of your system and the worst of the physical withdrawal symptoms have passed. You have a golden opportunity to make this quit stick.

If you take nicotine now, you are re-activating the addiction.
0 Kudos
michele2

Thank you Linda.
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Hi Lorrie! I agree with hwc. If you've gone this long without nicotine, why add another chemical? I think what you need is a way to be calm. First... No caffeine. It's the worst trigger. Second, try to find an herb that is calming, such as St. John's Wort. If you click on my pic, it will take you to my page. In my blogs look for the title...Herbs for Helping Quitting Smoking Find some stress vitamins. High doses of B & C. Take deep breaths & exercise. Just keep up your determination & I'm sure you'll make it!
0 Kudos
linda8

No one has been on cold turkey today, just wondering any new people out there doing this cold turkey, I am on day 12 and getting stronger every day.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Hey, Linda! I'll have 3 months on Monday. You're right, it gets easier everyday. Hang in there!
0 Kudos
glen.haizlip

Day 15, cold turkey. I too am feeling better every day. Cravings are less and less. My wife still smokes, but has cut back a lot. The smell of cigs makes me a bit nauseated... I like that!
0 Kudos
linda8

Went out to a late lunch early dinner today and a lot of people were out front smoking. When we walked up to go in I couldn't believe how bad it smelled. Didn't want any in the least bit. Also enjoyed waiting for our table in the warmth of the restraunt instead outside with the smokers!!!
0 Kudos

I have tried like ALL the medications and OTC aides and found them all a big waste. I spent money on them, and cigarettes, and that seemed foolish so now my plan is to do this cold turkey. I do have some herbal stuff that is suppose to be helpful and since I still have some, I might try it if I thin I need something to help. Mostly, just my will power, determination and desire to quit is what I am leaning on. I don't have a lot of people for support since I don't have a lot of friends so it is pretty much me and me doing this! I can use any advice, support, comments that I can get! Any thoughts or ideas! The more I write down reasons to quit, the more I realize that the reasons to quit far out number the reasons not to. I have set a quit date for Jan 31 so for the next week I am working on identifying triggers, and separation from them. I hope that I can make my quit day. How long is one suppose to work on the separation techniques? Don't want to put off the date too far away. No time like the present!
0 Kudos
michele2

Good morning Sunshine. You is your first morning as a non smoker going?

Hope you all have a great day!
0 Kudos