cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

cindy16

Chantix side effects

People have mentioned really life threatning and bad side effects. Depression, suicidal;, migranes. I'm on chantix but all this makes me nervous. I wonder what the percentage is of people who have these adverse side effects. I have had a pressure headache but I think that is from my sinuses and allergies acting up. I have had nausea in the morning, night ok. I see my doctorthis afternoony for sinuses and allergies I will talk to him. I want to stay on chantix. I think it's goiing to work. But worriied about these adverse side effects. Can you tell me your experience with the med?
Cindy
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
joanie3

I have had all the side effects too. I had the headaches ,nausea, and vivid dreams. The worst is the disruption my sleep. My experience is the side effects are easing up the longer I am on the pills. I am on them 45 days and smoke free for 34 days. As for the depression I think anyone that was dependent on cigs and no longer has them will be depressed. You are losing a best friend. I just keep thinking of other things and I know I would not be able to do it without the drug. Best of luck to you .
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi Joanie, You are doing great. Yea for you. I have began on chantix 11 days. But not taking the full dose in the am. Makes me so ill during the day. Night is fine. Did you set a quit date, or just when you flelt like not smoking anymore?My cravings have really decreaed. Have to work on triggers. Doing good in the am. Car is my difficult one. Do you have many cravings? Have you gained weight?
Cindy
0 Kudos
chris55

HI Cindy, i have been on chantix for 5 weeks, the only side effect i have had is the vivid dreams and those have already eased up quite a bit, i havent smoked at all since my quit date and my physical cravings have been pretty much none. it is the mental i have had some trouble with or should i say my triggers which are in the car and when i am upset or stressed. but i am so determined to quit that so far i havent given in, i get up and start doing something whether it is doing the dishes a load of laundry a walk anything to take my mind off of it for that short time the craving last. in the car i have started either chewing gum or sucking on a piece of hard candy. so far i havent gained any weight. i keep grapes frozen for when i am craving sweets or reeses min cups and i have 3 of those which my dr said was ok to have . i think even with the chantix it can be harder for some ppl then others just like some ppl can do it cold turkey with nothing to help, and most can't , some do well with patches and those dont work for others. and it all depends too on how bad of side effects you yourself are having. good luck!!
0 Kudos
cindy16

I did not take the morning pill for two days. Becuaee made me sick.. I just ate alot and will take now. I hope to quit this week Cigarettes do not taste so good. I smoke about 5 a day. When I smoke them I smoke to smoke. Does not taste so good. Morning, car and phone will be my triggers.
Cindy
0 Kudos
lindag

Cindy,
I have been takaing Chantix for 8 days and so far have had zero side effects. As a matter of fact, my quit day was supposed to be today, but after being on Chantix for 4 days, I quit. This is my 5th day smoke free. I had some withdrawals but I refuse to give up. Linda
0 Kudos
cindy16

Good for you. Cigs do not taste good and I have about 5 a day. Morning is bad but night is ok. No dreams just sick to my stomach. Go You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cindy
0 Kudos
cindy16

I will try this. I usually take right after eating and get so sick.
Thanks, Cindy
0 Kudos
cindy16

I aske d pharmacist. She has not found anyone with these horrible side effects. Just normal naseauea, can't sleep, vivid dreams, gas, constipation. Just normal stuff you can live through.
Cindy
0 Kudos
lindar

Hi All,
18 days taking Chantix....5 Days Smoke Free!

Smoked 40 years 2 to 3 packs a day. I quit once with Nicorette for 3 1/2 years 20 years ago. I've tried again with Nicorette but I have stomach issues and it just hurt my stomach to much.
I was real apprehensive with taking this pill as i cannot drink ANYTHING after i eat or I will throw up. So the thought of it making me nausous also really worried me as it happens enough without taking a pill....I only have 1/4 stomach.

Anyway....I really needed to quit smoking so i figured what the heck....the worse is I'd just throw it up.
Well, I'm happy to say it does NOT make me sick, I take it just before i eat. No side affects.
I did not set a quit day, as i thought it would just cause to much anxiety, i figured I'd know when I was ready and sure enough I knew.
The 1st week I smoked as usual, the second week, I'd forget to smoke, by the 6th day of the 2nd week i finished off a pack of about 5 and that was it. I have to say I did spend quit a bit of time in bed the first 2 days of my quit, I was pretty tired and it was a safe place to be.
I FEEL GREAT NOW!!!! (knock wood)
I chew on a straw when i think i should be having a cig. Today was first day in the car driving....it wasn't so bad, I had my straw.
This truly is a wonder drug. If I can do this anyone can.
For all of you WAY TO GO!!!!!
0 Kudos