cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

cindy16

Chantix/ Nicotine gum

I know this is not what the directions say. Some people take chantix for 60, 90 days before quitting. You can smoke while taking chanix. Why can't you chew nicotine gum to help change your habits ? Not smoke cigarettes but if you feel you need nicotine chew gum for a week. I asked the pharmacist and he said it would not hurt you. I just may buy some and keep it in the drawer. If I feel the need and want it chew a piece.I know the directions do not say to do this. Please do not post the chantix directions. I know them. But if you can smoke while taking chantix I do not think it would hurt chewing gum. Guive up the cigarettes, then chew gum a week to still get nicotine while changing habit. Cindy

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancy41

Hi Cindy! My doctor said I could use nicotine gum while taking Chanitx, I just chose not to. There is no nicotine in the Chantix so that part won't hurt you. You are not supposed to smoke when you are using nicotine replacement - like the gum, because you will receive extra nicotine in your system.
0 Kudos
cindy16

Thamls. I was thinking just if I needed it. I would have it.. Take the edge off if needed. My cravings are gone pretty much. Only time it is hard is in the car. Morning ok, at work ok, at home ok, car not so good if I'm alone. If I'm with someone it is ok. I had 3 yesterday. Did not even taste good just had them.
Cindy
0 Kudos