cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

musicatokc

Buproprion

I tried it.  Took it for about 2 months.  Made me feel kinda speedy and gave me restless leg syndrome.  It did help me smoke less because it stimulates you and so you don't get that sleepy drowsy feeling that results from lack of nicotine.  But, you still have to use will power to keep from smoking.  You do think about smoking less though.  l quit for about 2 months but started right back up after I quit taking them. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
91 Replies
crand2010

I have started taking bupropion (?) I have noticed that about an hour after i take it and i go out to smoke the cig takes like crap! I have cut way back and tomorrow is my official quit day!!  Sure  hope this med works!  Wish me luck and Good luck to all of you

Crystal

0 Kudos
viv2

Okay I think I've found my spot. I"m doing the welbutron, Dr started me on 150 said try for a month then if I felt like I needed to he would put me to the 300 I think I will need that. but I know I need a lot more help too. I've set my Q-day for the 14th that is my valentine to my self. I don't have much of a support system at home, I'm looking for a group to help, but would also loke to find a couple of one on one buddys to email, I've found that on forums and message boadrs there is not a lot of the personal help that I need.   vmhigg@yahoo.com    thanks and good luck to all of us    Viv

0 Kudos
konabean

Hey everyone!  Hi to viv and crystal!  Welcome.  Just to let everyone know, I am smoke free for 3 weeks now.  It does get easier.  Everyone stay positive.  But what I want to know is, how is everyone feeling/doing?  I am feeling good.  The side effects from the buproban are almost totally gone, and although I still chew the gum, I am gradually not chewing as much.  Geeze at 50 bucks a box its expensive.  So I have 4 weeks total of taking the burpoban, and the dr said he wants me on it 12 weeks no matter what.  So one month down, 2 to go.  And the best part is, when I am walking by someone in a store, and I smell the smoke on them, two things run through my mind.  1. Gross 2.  I feel sorry for them.  Because I quit, and I know how scary and dfficult it is... I just wish more people would give buproban a shot.  It works for me and many others!  Anyway, so how is everyone coming along??

0 Kudos
nari

I have been a smoker for 10 years and today I am on day seven quit now.  I am on Bupropian and haven't really noticed too many side effects. I did notice the dry mouth and nausea but it's subsided once I started having food with it. I also notice it keeps me up really late ( like 2 hours past when I normally go to bed), I take it at least 4 hours before I go to sleep (as recommended) and still am feeling tired. I've also had some moments where I've felt in distress and emotional-but not depressed. My doctor recommended a 4-month dosing for me. I started it for a week, the first three days at 150 mg to 300 on the fourth day. By the 4th day I crunched up my pack and threw it out. I haven't been smoking since. I do have many cravings but I also had a  LOT of triggers. So, I'm working on that and am just telling my self that I am capable of this. On the 5th day I got myself a reward, a new bottle of perfume, a new one. One that isn't the same as I have worn in the past because well, this is a new time in my life! As it is for all of us! hooray! 

You all are capable of quitting smoking. You can do this! Don't get down on yourselves, as this is a time in your life where you are going through an extraordinary transition. If you need support I'd gladly give it as we all need someone that we can relate to. 

By the third day food tastes sooooo much better and all the smells that you'd lost out on are sooo much better! I also noticed that the prescription made the cigarettes taste different but in a yucky kind of way. 

Good luck all I wish you the best of luck! Let's start the new year out with a good clean slate of health!

0 Kudos
mike8119

Still smoke free. Have a week long business trip coming up. It will be a real joy not to worry about finding a place to smoke in the airport.

0 Kudos
chicone

Hello!  I'm new to the board.   I live in Iowa.  I've been on wellbutrin for almost a week now and my quit date is Feb 12th.  I know that's a little long, but the 12th is my date.  The worst side effect is the dry mouth, and I get a headache with the first pill in the morning, but the second one "takes it away"  Weirdest damn thing!  LOL 

Congrats to all who have finally done it!!!!  Good luck to all of us almost there!!!

NIce to meet you all!

0 Kudos
viv2

I think I'm definatly going to have to go to 300. I've been taking my 150 in the AM, and with changing a lot of my routine, I've been able to start cutting back a lot, But by mid afternoon I 'm finding it harder and harder.  I know some of the problem is because that part of the day is almost imoposible for me to reorganize Can't change the things that happen then. Also it's alomost like the Webutron is wareing off, sort of like a pain pill would.  Does this happen? Also I find I'm having trouble sleeping, if it is because of the pill will it get worse if I'm taking 2 and one of them later in the day. ? My Dr is out of time until next week  (lucky dog is going to see my SAINTS play)  so anyway I can"t talk to him right now, so you all get to be my Dr and offer me some advice.

Lana I'm like you about checking in here very often, I guess we are trading one habit for another   LOL

0 Kudos
konabean

Okay so I am really mad right now because I wrote a huge note to viv, chicone, nari and mike.  And it deleted it!!!!  Ugh.  Okay, so my son won't let me type any longer.  I'll rewrite it when he goes to bed tonight.  😞  errr it took me like 40 minutes. 

0 Kudos
viv2

Konabean, please do rewrite the note, It helps me a lot to be on the "puter, because it is in a part of the house where we don't smoke. Actually the only place where I smoke inside is in the basement. Unfortunately, since I've gotten sick, my daughter & grand daughter fixed a room down there so it is very comfy, nice chair to read, cable TV, It was supposed to be so that when I was doing laundry, I wouldn't have to go up & down the stairs, but it soon became the "smoking room" Now what am I going to do when I have to do the laundry ?

0 Kudos
konabean

Hi all!  Glad to see that everyone seems to be doing quite well!  Mike, congrats.  Its great to travel and not worry about smoking, I'm sure.  That's the worst, worrying when your next smoke was going to be.  I was student teaching a year back, and it was terrible.  I didn't want the kids to smell it on me, nor my professor, but I HAD to smoke at some point through the day.  So I would sneak.  I think my teacher knew and she didn't like me after that.  Petty sure, but thats the stigma smokers get  now.  People see you as a poor decision maker if they see you smoke.  And then they judge your lifestyle, and they see you as trashy.  Its really an addiction, and I am glad I have overcome the addiction, and the stigma.  It feels more freeing than anything!

Nari, great encouragement to everyone.  You really put things in perspective, and I think you are an asset to this blog.  I am on the same RX regiment as you, but I use the gum as well.  I don't think I could have done without the gum, although I don't look forward to weaning off that as well.  Although I didn't feel emotional, I sure felt anxiety.  I think it just effects us all differently, but one thing is for sure, the side effects (if you get them) are not fun. 

Which leads me to viv.  For sure it has to do with not falling asleep.  It takes a few weeks to overcome that.  And I would def reccomend doing 2 150mg a day.  To try and help the sleep, do one when you wake (lets say 7) and one 12 hours later (7pm).  This way your body has some time to adjust and hopefully it will be easier to fall asleep.  I still deal with that every now and then when I forget, and take my pill to late.  But I need the afternoon pill for sure!  It totally wears off by 2pm for me.  So for awhile (until the med built up in my blood AND I was a couple weeks in and overall more comfortable) I was breaking my afternoon pill in half and taking it at 3 and then the other half at 7.  I couldn't wait a whole 12 hours, because I felt as if it wore off.  I don't know if you should do that, but it worked for me.  The other reason I did that is because the side effects from the second pill hit me much harder than the morning.  I felt nervous to drive.  Eeek that was terrible.  I felt like I could get a panic attack.  So I needed the pill, but split it.  After a couple weeks of doing that I was used to the meds and no longer needed to split it.  Hope that helps.

Chicone - welcome.  Congrats on setting your due date.  You may find yourself ready even before the 12th on the meds.  I found that the worst part of this whole process was the looming due date.  It was scary, made me nervous, and I figured it would be days of suffering to mark that faitfull day.  But the truth is, the anticipation of the due date was worse than what really transpired.  The first 72 hours are not fun, but a guy told me that once your over that it gets easier.  He was right.  And those 72 hours were not even close to being as bad as i expected (from previous times trying to quit and being unsuccessful).  So good luck, and don't worry, its not that bad.  If your like me you just find yourself trying to put your shoes on all day because you think your going outside to smoke, but then you realize why you are puttng your shoes on, so you take them off.  And then 5 minutes later, opps they are back on again.  It was almost commical. 

0 Kudos